Waterford 0-12 Clare 3-11

Updated: Monday, 16 Jun 2014 17:23 | Comments

Clare scored three goals in Dungarvan
Clare scored three goals in Dungarvan

Clare set up a Munster SFC semi-final date with Kerry courtesy of a convincing 3-11 to 0-12 replay win over Waterford at Fraher Field.

Man-of-the-match Gary Brennan dominated midfield and scored 1-02, with Shane Brennan and Rory Donnelly adding second-half goals.

Waterford's hopes were dashed when they lost midfielders Shane Ahearne and Tommy Prendergast to first-half black cards.

Clare led by 1-06 to 0-06 at half-time and those goals from Shane Brennan and Donnelly eased them through.

Having run out comfortable eight-point winners before a 1,357-strong crowd in sweltering Dungarvan, Colm Collins' side will host Kerry next weekend while Waterford must readjust their focus for the All-Ireland qualifiers.

Brennan's timely goal on 25 minutes gave Clare breathing space by the break. Waterford had received an early blow when Ahearne controversially received a black card from referee Maurice Deegan for a high tackle on Martin McMahon after 90 seconds.

Despite that setback, they led by 0-04 to 0-00 after eleven minutes. Paul Whyte struck three (two frees and one from play) and then JJ Hutchinson hit his first.

But Clare settled as Gary Brennan controlled centre-field. Sean Collins, David Tubridy and Shane McGrath all kicked points to leave them two down - 0-05 to 0-03.

Déise corner forward Hutchinson sent in a monstrous effort to bring his tally to three, however, that proved Waterford's last score of the half.

Ahearne's absence was sorely felt as Brennan upped the ante. Clare mopped up the breaking ball and found the crucial goal to level matters. Shane Hickey located Brennan charging through and he finished delicately under Stephen Enright for a 0-06 to 1-03 scoreline.

Shane McGrath then posted back-to-back points and Sean Collins added his second. Waterford lost their second starting midfielder Prendergast to another black card on 32 minutes and Clare edged in front, albeit with their first-half wides tally standing at nine.

Clare accelerated clear of their opponents on the restart with Gary Brennan, Sean Collins and Jamie Malone tagged on points.

A 48th-minute point attempt from Gary Brennan hit the post and his brother Shane was close by for the rebound, finishing to the net from close range for a 2-09 to 0-06 advantage.

Declan Allen eventually ended a 30-minute wait for a Waterford score but they were chasing a lost cause now.

Substitute Donnelly drilled home a third goal on 61 minutes from Eoin Cleary's accurate pass, slotting low to the bottom corner.

Liam Ó Lionáin struck two second-half efforts and JJ Hutchinson brought his tally to four as Waterford ended with the last three points.

The only disappointing element of Clare's performance was their final total of 16 wides.

Waterford: S Enright; Maurice O'Gorman, O Keevers, T O'Gorman; D Crowley, S Briggs, C Phelan; S Ahearne, T Prendergast; T Ó hUallacháin, Michael O’Gorman, B Wall; L Ó Lionáin (0-02), P Whyte (0-05, 0-04f), JJ Hutchinson (0-04).

Subs: W Hutchinson for Ahearne (2 mins, black card), D Allen (0-01) for Prendergast (32, black card), M Curry for W Hutchinson (half-time), C O'Keeffe for Phelan (45), D Grey for JJ Hutchinson (67).

Clare: J Hayes; D Ryan, K Hartnett, M McMahon; C Russell (0-01), G Kelly, S Collins (0-03); G Brennan (1-02), B Harnett; S Hickey, E Coughlan, S McGrath (0-03); M O'Leary, S Brennan (1-00), D Tubridy (0-01).

Subs: J Malone (0-01) for B Hartnett (24 mins), R Donnelly (1-00) for Coughlan (56), E Cleary for Tubridy (57), L Healy for McMahon (63), P McMahon for Collins (65), S McNelis for Hickey (66).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use