Louth 1-07 Kildare 1-22

Updated: Sunday, 08 Jun 2014 20:25 | Comments

Cathal McNally celebrates scoring Kildare's goal
Cathal McNally celebrates scoring Kildare's goal


A storming start at Croke Park eased Kildare to a 1-22 to 1-07 victory over Louth and a place in the Leinster Senior Football Championship semi-finals.

The 15-point win in Jason Ryan's first championship game in charge came far easier than anticipated against a team they lost to in 2010 and only narrowly overcame last year.

Progress to a 29 June semi-final against Meath or Carlow was all but sealed by half-time when Kildare led by 11 points.

Niall Kelly and Padraig Fogarty led Kildare's early onslaught, shooting 0-06 between them overall while Cathal McNally swooped for 1-02.

It was a disappointing day for Louth, who had arrived at Croke Park with big ambitions after beating Westmeath.

But just like 2013 when they initially beat Laois, they failed to progress in their second game and now head to a 29 June qualifier.

Louth sprung a surprise before throw-in by including Shane Lennon, who had initially been left out.

The experienced full-forward scored an early point and added a second-half goal. He used what limited possession he had to test Kildare's defence.

But Kildare controlled possession in the first-half and their 1-13 to 0-05 interval lead didn't flatter them.

Louth's full-back line couldn't cope with the movement and tricky of Kelly and Fogarty. McNally grabbed their opening goal after 16 minutes.

But it was no great surprise that Fogarty was the creator, passing the ball across goals for McNally to palm in from close range.

Fogarty shot two early points himself and went close with two other goal chances while Kelly also helped himself to a first-half brace.

Emmet Bolton was named at corner-back but played on the wing for Kildare and burst forward regularly.

He picked off a point while Ollie Lyons, the other wing-back, got on the score sheet too.

Padraig O'Neill and Tommy Moolick converted too as Kildare enjoyed total dominance.

Under pressure Louth made two first-half substitutions and brought rising star Ryan Burns on after 32 minutes. The 17-year old Leaving Cert student had performed the super-sub role with a vital goal in their first-round win over Westmeath.

He combined with Lennon for an expertly taken 50th-minute Louth goal.

But by then any hope of a Wee County revival had already been snuffed out. Kildare had started the second-half with four points in a row to move 1-17 to 0-05 clear and secure their semi-final spot long before full-time.

Ryan took the opportunity to use his full allocation of six substitutes in the final quarter of the match, by which time the game was over as a contest.

Kildare: M Donnellan; H McGrillen, M Foley, K Cribbin (0-01); O Lyons (0-01), F Conway, E Bolton (0-03); P O'Neill (0-01), S Hurley; E Callaghan (0-01), T Moolick (0-01), C McNally (1-02); P Brophy (0-03, 1f), P Fogarty (0-03, 1f), N Kelly (0-03).

Substitutes: E O'Flaherty (0-01) McNally, A Smith (0-02) for Hurley, T O'Connor for Fogarty, D Flynn for Callaghan, C Fitzpatrick for Bolton, K Cribbin for Hyland.

Louth: N Gallagher; P Rath, M Fanning, D Finnegan; A Reid, P Reilly, J O'Brien (0-01); P Keenan (0-03), A McDonnell; D Crilly, B White, D Maguire; D Byrne, S Lennon (1-02, 1f), C Grimes (0-01).

Substitutes: J Stewart for Fanning, R Burns for White, B Donnelly for Reilly, E Lafferty for Maguire, S O'Hanlon for Donnelly, R Brodigan for Byrne.

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use