Cork 2-14 Tyrone 0-20

Updated: Sunday, 30 Mar 2014 21:52 | Comments

The sides could not be separated in Cork
The sides could not be separated in Cork


Cork and Tyrone finished level at 2-14 to 0-20 in a thriller at Páirc Uí Rinn to push for places in the Allianz Football League semi-finals.

Paul Kerrigan banged in an early goal for Cork, but Tyrone led for most of the first half, and six Kyle Coney points had them ahead by 0-12 to 1-05 at the interval.

Substitute Colm O’Neill scored Cork’s second goal midway through the second half, but Coney led the Tyrone fightback with his ninth score, and it was substitute Ronan O’Neill who nailed the stoppage time equaliser from a free.

Tyrone were three points up in as many minutes in a high octane start, Kyle Coney, Peter Harte and Darren McCurry all sending over high quality points.

But the home side went level in the fifth minute when Paul Kerrigan cut in from the left, beating three defenders before firing his shot past goalkeeper Niall Morgan.

The Red Hands responded with another volley of scores, Shay providing the creativity for McCurry to bring his tally to three by the tenth minute.

But the pace and movement of the Cork attack caused problems for Tyrone, with Brian Hurley their major threat up front.

The Castlehaven man hit two scores in the space of a minute to edge the home side back in front midway through the half, but Coney’s magical finishing had Tyrone level soon afterwards.

Cork scored just one point in the second quarter as the Red Hands channelled extra men back, and broke at pace to pick off quality points.

It was Coney who continued to steal the show, floating over two more gems to bring his tally to six by the halfway stage.

Cork lost wing back Tomás Clancy to a black card, and trailed by 0-12 to 1-05 at the interval.

The Rebels started the second half strongly, John O’Rourke springing through to rifle over a point, before Hurley narrowed the gap to two.

Andrew O’Sullivan stepped up his game to give Cork an edge at midfield, and they moved to within a point of their Ulster opponents when Hayes and substitute Colm O’Neill, from a free, hit the target.

Hurley nailed another placed ball to bring the sides level in the 49th minute, and three minutes later, O’Neill collected O’Rourke’s pass to blast home Cork’s second goal.

Michael Shields was given the job of shadowing Coney, and in a more effective defensive effort, Cork minimised the scoring threat, restricting Tyrone to just two points in the third quarter.

Substitute Barry O’Driscoll edged the Munster men into a four-point lead, but the Red Hands refused to surrender, and came close on two occasions to grabbing a goal, with ’keeper David Hanrahan denying Martin Penrose.

Tyrone staged a storming finish, closing the gap through Penrose, Sean Cavanagh and Coney.

And deep into stoppage time, it was Cavanagh who won the free that substitute Ronan O’Neill clipped between the posts for the equaliser.

Cork: D Hanrahan, E Cadogan, Tom Clancy, N Galvin, Tomas Clancy, M Shields (0-01), J Loughry, A O’Sullivan, F Goold, J O’Rourke (0-02), P Kerrigan (1-00), M Collins, D Goulding, B Hurley (0-05, 2f), J Hayes (0-02).

Substitutes: J O’Sullivan for Tomas Clancy (BC), C O’Neill (1-2, 0-02f) for Goulding, P Kelly for Cadogan, B O’Driscoll (0-01) for Galvin, C O’Driscoll (0-01) for Kerrigan, A Cronin for Hayes

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-02, 1f, 1 ’45), A McCrory, R McNamee, R McKenna, T McCann, Mattie Donnelly, P Harte (0-01), C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh (0-01), C McGinley, S McGuigan, Mark Donnelly, D McCurry (0-04, 2f), K Coney (0-09, 1f), C McAliskey (0-01, f).

Substitutes: D McBride for McCann, R O’Neill (0-01, f) for McCurry, M Penrose (0-01) for McAliskey, C Gormley for McGinley, N McKenna for Mark Donnelly, K Gallagher for McGuigan.

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use