Mayo 4-12 Cork 2-14

Updated: Sunday, 16 Mar 2014 21:28 | Comments

Mayo's Mikey Sweeney holds off Kevin Crowley Alan Freeman was among the Mayo goalscorers
Mayo's Mikey Sweeney holds off Kevin Crowley Alan Freeman was among the Mayo goalscorers


Mayo are back in the hunt for the Allianz Division 1 semi-finals after they fired four goals past the previously unbeaten Cork in a 4-12 to 2-14 victory at McHale Park. 

Jason Doherty, Jason Gibbons, Alan Freeman and Cillian O'Connor all hit the net for James Horan's men who weathered an early Cork storm to take the victory.

With Brian Hurley in terrific form Cork stormed into a 0-5 to 0-0 lead by the ninth minute, but Doherty's goal late in the second-half gave them the upper hand. 

After their early set-back Mayo improved dramatically at the back and after missing a raft of chances up front they went on to hit the next six points to take control.

Colm O'Neill landed a 45 to level the game at 0-6 each nine minutes before the break, but Mayo finished the half well and a brace of points from Jason Doherty, a free from O'Connor and Doherty's goal two minutes into added-time gave the Green and Red a 1-9 to 0-6 lead at half-time.

The home side continued where they left off after the restart and Kevin McLoughlin pointed before Aidan Walsh and Donncha O'Connor closed the gap to six points again.

But Mayo were improving in front of goal and after McLoughlin's second point of the half, Freeman struck a fine goal past Ken O'Halloran's to claim a ten point lead.

Walsh briefly halted the westerners surge with a good point, but once Gibbons hit Mayo's third goal in the 50th minute and O'Connor followed suit nine minutes later, the points were secured.

Cork recovered somewhat late on and hit the last three points, while Hurley's late goal softened the blow to Cork's scoring difference. 

Mayo: R Hennelly; S McHale, G Cafferkey, B Harrison; L Keegan (0-01), C Boyle, D Vaughan; A O’Shea (0-01), J Gibbons (1-01); K McLoughlin (0-04, 0-01f), K Higgins, J Doherty (1-03); M Sweeney, A Freeman (1-00), C O’Connor (1-02, 0-02f).

Subs: D Drake for Boyle (8-15 mins blood), D Coen for Freeman (54), T Parsons for Gibbons (60), E Varley for Sweeney (74).

Cork: K O'Halloran; M Shields, E Cadogan, K Crowley; C Dorman, T Clancy (Clonakilty), A Cronin; A O'Sullivan, A Walsh (0-3); C O'Driscoll, P Kerrigan, T Clancy (Fermoy); B Hurley (1-05, 0-01f), C O'Neill (0-01, 0-01 '45), D O'Connor (0-03, 0-02f).

Subs: J O'Rourke (1-00) for Clancy (Fermoy) (half-time), M Collins for O'Neill (half-time), J Loughrey for Crowley (40 mins), F Goold for O'Connor (44), B O'Driscoll (0-01) for Cadogan (47), J Hayes (0-01, 0-01f) for Goold (59 BC).

Referee: Rory Hickey (Clare).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use