Tyrone 2-15 Mayo 0-15

Updated: Tuesday, 18 Mar 2014 10:19 | Comments

Darren McCurry of Tyrone and Ger Cafferkey of Mayo
Darren McCurry of Tyrone and Ger Cafferkey of Mayo


Tyrone defeated Mayo by 2-15 to 0-15 at Healy Park to claim their first League win of the season and leave the westerners pointless at the bottom of the Division One table.

Darren McCurry’s goal and five points from Mattie Donnelly helped Tyrone to a 1-09 to 0-06 half-time lead.

Adam Gallagher’s nine points haul led Mayo’s revival, but McCurry slotted home another superb goal on 63 minutes to seal the result for the Red Hands in a repeat of last year’s All-Ireland semi-final.

In front of a crowd of 6,351, the Red Hands produced some superb attacking football, but they had to work hard to get the better of a Mayo side that for the second week in a  row chalked up a big scoreline, but came away with nothing.

Mayo were gifted three goals chances in the opening ten minutes, but managed just two points, Cathal Carolan and Keith Higgins both blazing ier when they should have done better.

And Niall Morgan got down to deny David Drake after Carolan had carved another opening.

Mattie Donnelly showed that he is growing into his new full forward role by firing over three quality points, with Darren McCurry also on target as Tyrone began to control the game around the 15-minute mark.

They shot four points in as many minutes and in the 21st minute conjured up an exquisite goal

Mattie Donnelly broke the ball into the path of Peter Harte, who fed McCurry, and he picked his spot to give Rob Hennelly no chance.

Mayo responded with a handful of scores, the pick of them from wing back Lee Keegan, but they could find no way to stop the rampant Donnelly. All three members of the full back line had by now attempted to shackle the Trillick man, to no avail, as he brought his tally to five - all from play

Tyrone led by 1-9 to 0-6 at the interval, and the quality of their finishing was maintained in the early stages of the second half, with McCurry and substitute Connor McAliskey both finding the target.

But Adam Gallagher notched five points to keep the westerners very much in touch, a seven points deficit trimmed back to two in the space of eight minutes.

Tyrone introduced Sean Cavanagh for his first appearance of the season on 50 minutes, and having gone 12 minutes without a score, they registered again through wing back Ciaran McGinley.

Goalkeeper Niall Morgan slotted over a 35 metre free, but Mayo, with the wind in their backs, responded with Gallagher’s eighth score of the afternoon.

The Ulster men struck another major blow oin the 63rd minute, McCurry again the hero with another magical finish, after Ronan O’Neill  and McAliskey had combined in the build-up.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01,f), A McCrory, C Clarke, B Tierney, C McGinley (0-02), P Harte (00-01), T McCann, C Cavanagh, C Grugan, E McKenna, S McGuigan, P Hughes, D McCurry (2-04, 0-1f), M Donnelly (0-05), R O'Neill (0-01,f).

Subs: C McAliskey (0-01) for Hughes (h-t), S Cavanagh for McKenna (50), Mark Donnelly for McGuigan (50), D Carlin for Tierney for Tierney (58), P McNeice for McCurry (71)

Mayo: R Hennelly, K Keane, G Cafferkey, C Boyle, L Keegan (0-01), S McHale, D Drake, A O'Shea, J Gibbons, C Carolan (0-01), K Higgins (0-01), A Gallagher (00-09, 6f), K McLoughlin (0-02), A Moran (0-01), D O’Connor.

Subs: B Harrison for Boyle (h-t), B Gallagher (0-01) for O’Connor (h-t), M Conroy for Carolan (h-t), J Doherty for Cafferkey (58), A Freeman for Keegan (65)

Referee: P Hughes (Armagh)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use