Allianz FL: Division 4 round-up

Updated: Tuesday, 04 Feb 2014 11:58 | Comments

Leighton Glynn netted hat-trick for Wicklow
Leighton Glynn netted hat-trick for Wicklow

Wicklow, Clare, Leitrim and Tipperary claimed wins on the opening day of Division 4 of the Allianz Football League.

Leighton Glynn marked his first competitive start of the year for Wicklow with a first-half hat-trick as the Garden County recorded a 14-point win over London by 3-13 to 1-08 at Aughrim.

London opened the scoring through Marcus Miskelly, but Wicklow netted four minutes later through Leighton Glynn, after good work in the build-up by McGraynor.

Wicklow held a 1-04 to 0-03 advantage entering the second quarter, but two goals from Glynn, including a penalty kick, helped the hosts to a 3-09 to 0-04 interval lead. 

Aided by a strong wind, the Exiles outscored their opponents by 1-04 to 0-04 in the second half, with Adrian Moyles netting London's goal.

Clare were goal-hungry in their 3-10 to 1-09 win over Waterford at Fraher Field, Dungarvan.

The visitors led by 1-05 to 0-06 at half-time, with Martin O'Leary netting their opening goal in the first quarter.

Clare moved 3-10 to 0-07 ahead after 65 minutes, thanks to goals from Shane McGrath and Michael O'Shea, 

Waterford finished strongly with Paul Whyte netting a goal, but the visitors had laid the foundations for victory early on.

Leitrim continued their good form in 2014, with a 1-11 to 1-06 win over Antrim in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Despite playing against a stiff wind in the opening half, Leitrim led by 1-08 to 0-03 at half-time, with Tomás Byrne scoring their goal.

Antrim worked hard on the restart, with a Niall McKeever goal cutting the gap to five points.

Despite this surge, Leitrim kept on top, with Antrim losing both Marty Johnston and Conor Murray to red cards late in the second half.

Tipperary impressed throughout as they claimed a comfortable 2-24 to 1-08 win over Carlow at Dr Cullen Park.

The sides were level at 0-02 apiece after five minutes following a Darragh Foley score, but the hosts lost Paul Broderick on a red card and never recovered.

Tipperary led by 0-12 to 0-04 at half-time, and although Seamus Kinsella netted a 44th minute penalty goal for Carlow to cut the gap to six points, the visitors finished strongly.

Conor Sweeney (1-08) and Philip Austin (1-01) both netted for Tipperary inside a five-minute spell at the end of the third quarter to pave the way for a 19-point win. 

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use