Connacht League round-up: Leitrim defeat Galway

Updated: Sunday, 12 Jan 2014 20:44 | Comments

Mayo captain Andy Moran leads his team out to start the game
Mayo captain Andy Moran leads his team out to start the game


Leitrim, Sligo and Roscommon recorded wins in the FBD League, while beaten All-Ireland finalists Mayo were held to a draw by IT Sligo this afternoon.

Reigning FBD League champions Leitrim maintained their unbeaten start to the year, with a hard-earned 1-10 to 2-06 win over Galway in Ballinasloe.

Galway edged a 0-05 to 0-04 interval lead, with Danny Cummins and Mark Hehir among those on target for the hosts.

Leitrim took the lead early on the restart thanks to scores from Emlyn Mulligan and James Clancy.

Mulligan netted soon after to open up a 1-07 to 0-06 lead, but Ian Burke replied with a three-pointer for Galway.

A Michael Martin goal pushed Galway to a 2-06 to 1-08 lead, but Leitrim finished strongly with Mulligan scoring two vital points late on.

An Eoin McHugh goal was the difference in Sligo's 1-08 to 0-08 win over GMIT at Connolly Park.

Sligo led by 1-04 to 0-05 at half-time, and moved 1-06 to 0-06 ahead on the restart.

The hosts lost Charlie Harrison on a black card, while Ronan Steede saw black for the students in the closing stages.

Goals from Cathal Cregg and Conor Devaney helped Roscommon to a 2-13 to 1-05 win over NUI Galway in Ballyforan.

Roscommon led by 0-10 to 0-00 after 22 minutes following a Craig Burns point, with NUIG's goal arriving soon after.

The hosts led by 0-11 to 1-00 at half-time, with the students aided by a strong wind on the restart.

However, Roscommon always held that extra edge with Cregg's goal sealing the issue.

A late Alan Freeman penalty goal earned Mayo a share of the spoils against IT Sligo on a 2-08 to 1-11 scoreline.

This game was moved to the Connacht GAA Centre of Excellence at Bekan due to an unplayable pitch at Charlestown and proved entertaining throughout.

Mayo led by 1-07 to 0-02 early on, with Cathal Carolan netting James Horan's sides first goal.

However the students fought back, with Mayo leading 1-08 to 1-03 at the break.

IT Sligo impressed in the third quarter, as they moved 1-11 to 1-08 ahead.

But Mayo worked hard, with Freeman's goal helping to secure a share of the spoils.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use