Donegal's Glenswilly defeat Roslea to reach maiden Ulster decider

Updated: Tuesday, 19 Nov 2013 14:48 | Comments

Michael Murphy goals for Glenswilly
Michael Murphy goals for Glenswilly

Glenswilly of Donegal are through to their first Ulster SFC Club final after a 3-09 to 2-08 win over Fermanagh’s Roslea in Healy Park.

County star Michael Murphy and Colin Kelly both scored goals as the Donegal champions shot into a six-point lead at the break, 2-05 to 0-05.

But Roslea refused to back down and a goal from Conor Mulligan meant that the Donegal side needed late points from Joe Gibbons and Kelly to see them over the line and into a provincial decider against Ballinderry.

The Derry champions saw off the challenge of Down’s Kilcoo by 1-10 to 0-09 at the Athletic Grounds.Coilin Devlin

Despite losing Kevin McGuckin to a red card, Ballinderry held a 1-06 to 0-04 half-time lead, with Michael McIver raising a green flag for the visitors.

Ballinderry were reduced to 13 men when Ryan Scott was dismissed but Kilcoo had two players red-carded in injury time and there was to be no comeback.

Portlaoise needed extra time to overcome Longford Slashers in the last of the Leinster SFC Club quarter-finals.

Goals from Mark Smith, Martin Nevin and Niall Mulligan gave Longford a 3-03 to 0-06 half-time lead at Pearse Park.

The visitors trailed by eight points in the second half but a goal from Bruno McCormack helped them cut the deficit and the sides were level, 3-06 to 1-12, at the end of normal time.

With the light fading fast in the midlands, Adrian Kelly, Craig Rogers and Kevin Fitzpatrick hit extra-time points to seal a 1-15 to 3-07 win and see the Laois side into a semi-final against Moorefield.

In Munster, Cratloe, only crowned Clare SFC champions on Saturday when they beat Doonbeg, showed no signs of fatigue as they beat Waterford’s Ballinacourty in Ennis.

Ballinacourty led by a point at the break and by three soon after but Conor McGrath’s goal brought the sides level.

Both sides were reduced to 14 men when McGrath and Richie Foley were dismissed in the closing stages but two late points saw the Banner team claim a 1-10 to 0-11 win and a their prize is a final meeting with Kerry's Dr Crokes who beat Loughmore-Castleiney on Saturday afternoon.

Elsewhere, Kiltane beat Boyle, 3-10 to 2-04, in the Connacht IFC final at McHale Park.


Leinster Club SFC quarter-final
Portlaoise (Laois) 1-15 Longford Slashers (Longford) 3-07 (Aet)

Munster Club SFC semi-final
Cratloe (Clare) 1-10 Ballinacourty (Waterford) 0-11

Ulster Club SFC semi-finals
Glenswilly (Donegal) 3-09 Roslea (Fermanagh) 2-08
Ballinderry (Derry) 1-10 Kilcoo (Down) 0-09

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use