Club Football: St Vincent's and Ballymun Kickhams draw Dublin final as Crossmaglen held by Kilcoo in Ulster

Updated: Wednesday, 06 Nov 2013 21:03 | Comments

Ballymun's James Burke and Gavin Burke of St Vincent's
Ballymun's James Burke and Gavin Burke of St Vincent's


The Dublin SFC final produced the most dramatic of games with St Vincent’s coming back from the dead to force extra-time before claiming a 1-17 to 0-20 draw with Ballymun Kickhams.

A late point from Ted Furman looked to have done enough to secure Kickhams a second successive Dublin title but Diarmuid Connolly pointed with a last kick of the game to force a replay.

Ballymun lead by three at half-time and by four with time running out in normal time, however, a Kevin Golden goal and a point from Jack Carthy put the Kickhams celebrations on hold.

And the drama continued in extra-time with Dublin star Connolly forcing a replay, which will be held on Wednesday night in Parnell Park (7.45pm).

Loughmore-Castleiney completed a remarkable double adding the Tipperary SFC title to their hurling success.

They comfortably saw off the challenge of Aherlow Gaels, 3-10 to 0-09.

Meanwhile, Longford Slashers brushed aside the challenge of Wicklow’s Rathnew to progress in the Leinster Championship, winning 3-13 to 0-10 in Longford.

In Munster Kerry champions Dr Crokes remain on track to retain their crown after a 1-11 to 0-08 win over Cork’s Castlehaven in Killarney.

The sides were evenly matched in the opening exchanges but three Daithí Casey scores near the end of the half gave Crokes a 0-07 to 0-04 lead at the break.

Brian Looney extended the Kerry side’s lead in the second half and a scrambled goal midway through the second half sealed the win.

Elsewhere, Ballinacourty of Waterford edged out Limerick’s Dromcollogher-Broadford by two points in Fraher Field.

First-half goals from Jason O’Brien and Mark Fencombe handed the men from the Déise a four-point lead after 30 minutes but the Limerick side fought back to within a point with five minutes to play.

However, Gary Hurney and Michael O’Halloran both scored late points to secure a 2-07 to 0-11 win.

The Ulster Club quarter-finals also produced a thriller with Crossmaglen and Kilcoo playing out a draw after extra-time, 1-12 to 2-09.

The Armagh champions hit a late point to make it 1-07 to 1-07 at the end of normal time.

Paul Grennan then goaled in extra-time for the Down side before Tony Hanratty and Tony Kernan points put Rangers into the lead.

However, Kilcoo wing-back Darragh O’Hanlon hit two late points to bring the game to a replay in the Athletic Grounds next Saturday.

Elsewhere in the province, a Michael Murphy penalty helped Glenswilly beat St Gall’s of Antrim, 1-10 to 0-10, in Ballybofey.

Derry’s Ballinderry recorded a one-point win Scotstown of Monaghan in St Tiernach’s Park, 1-08 to 0-10, while Fermanagh’s Roslea saw off Ballinagh of Cavan on a 1-12 to 0-11 in Brewster Park, thanks to a late Seamus Quigley penalty. 


Leinster Club SFC first round
Longford Slashers 3-13 Rathnew 0-10 

Munster Club SFC quarter-finals
Ballinacourty 2-07 Dromcollogher-Broadford 0-11 
Dr Crokes 1-11 Castlehaven 0-08 

Ulster Club SFC quarter-finals
Ballinderry 1-08  Scotstown 0-10
Glenswilly 1-10 St Gall's 0-10 
Roslea 1-12 Ballinagh 0-11 
Kilcoo 2-09 Crossmaglen 1-12 (Aet)

Dublin SFC final
Ballymun Kickhams 0-20 St Vincent's 1-17 (Aet)

Tipperary SFC final
Loughmore-Castleiney 3-10 Aherlow Gaels 0-9 

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use