Derry 0-15 Sligo 0-08

Updated: Sunday, 30 Jun 2013 20:46 | Comments

Brian McIver and Derry are in the hat for Round 2 of the Qualifiers
Brian McIver and Derry are in the hat for Round 2 of the Qualifiers

Kevin Walsh stepped down as Sligo manager after seeing his side pick up a 0-15 to 0-8 defeat to Derry at Owenbeg.

Sligo had no answer for Derry's slick forwards who put on a master-class of points kicking an the picturesque venue.

Seven unanswered points in the first 15 minutes gave Sligo an uphill battle, but once they kicked four very poor wides at the start of the second-half there was no way back for the Yeatsmen as Derry punished them severely. 

Sligo really struggled to get to grips with the movement of the Derry forwards, with full-forward Lee Kennedy and Ryan Bell proving particularly elusive.

It was Enda Lynn that got them off the mark in the game's first attack and a minute later Sean Leo McGoldrick kicked a great point from the right after Charlie Kielt spotted him all on his own.

Bell kicked his first in the sixth minute, before Ciaran McFaul split the posts with style after a move with James Kielt's fingerprints all over it.

Mark Lynch and Bell added further points before Kielt freed Kennedy clear on goal, but he elected to take a point instead of going for the jugular.

A goal at that stage would have ended Sligo's challenge, but instead they seemed to get to grips with Derry's game plan as the free man Adrian McIntyre began to cut out Derry's previously precise deliveries.

Adrian Marren finally got Sligo off the mark with a free in the 16th minute after Brendan Egan was felled by Declan Brown.

James Kilkullen kicked Sligo's second point in a row five minutes later with a great score from distance, and had Charlie Harrison hit the net when one-on-one with Eoin McNicholl just two points would have separated the sides.

But he fluffed his goal chance and Derry kicked two further points to take a 0-9 to 0-3 lead in at the break. 

Kennedy, Lynn and Bell all continued their good form after the restart and any time Sligo threatened inside their 45 metre line they were willing to foul the Yeats men, who failed to convert several frees.

For Derry there is plenty to look forward to in the Round 2 draw, but for Sligo the search will start for a new manager. 

Derry: E McNicholl; M Lynch (0-01, 0-01f), C McKaigue, D McBride; C Kielt, S L McGoldrick (0-01), D Brown; P Bradley, PJ McCloskey; C McAtamney, J Kielt, E Lynn (0-03); C McFaul (0-01), L Kennedy (0-04), R Bell (0-04).

Subs: E Bradley (0-01) for McFaul (53 mins), E McGuckin for J Kielt (59 mins), A McAlynn for McAtamney (63 mins), B Gormley for Lynn (65 mins), B McCallion for P Bradley (68 mins)

Sligo: P Greene; C Harrison, R Donovan, N Ewing; J Kelly, M Quinn, S McManus; J Kilcullen (0-01), B Egan; M Breheny (0-04, 0-03f), K Sweeney, P Hughes; D Kelly, A Marren (0-03, 0-03f), A McIntyre.

Subs: K Cawley for McManus (h-t), F Quinn for Sweeney (44 mins), N Murphy for Hughes (53 mins), K Byrne for Marren (62 mins), S Gilmartin for Kilcullen (65 mins).

Referee: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use