Galway 1-12 Tipperary 0-11

Updated: Saturday, 29 Jun 2013 21:31 | Comments

Galway will now hope to build on this victory
Galway will now hope to build on this victory

A goal from debutant Michael Farragher helped Galway get out of jail at Pearse Stadium as they end a losing run in the qualifiers which stretches back to 2004 with a 1-12 to 0-11 victory over Tipperary.

Galway were in trouble when they led by just 0-06 to 0-05 at the break having played with the strong wind but they produced a big third quarter to see off the Premiermen.

Two points directly after the restart from Mark Hehir and Sean Armstrong pushed them three points in front.

Peter Acheson and Danny Cummins exchanged points but then a floated ball from Cummins was punched out to Farragher and he slotted the ball into the bottom right corner and suddenly Galway were ahead by double scores.

It was all so different in the opening half when the sides exchanged points five times.

Galway, who hit nine wides, struggled to break down the Tipp defence as the visitors crowded their rearguard and then worked the ball up the field.

Tipp, indeed, should have been ahead at the break but seven wides undermined their challenge.

Conor Sweeney hit four of them from placed balls but landed three excellent efforts from play.

Armstrong and Michael Meehan did most to lift a sluggish Galway side and Armstrong’s third point just before the interval edged them 0-6 to 0-5 in front at the break.

But it did not look like it would be enough given the strong wind, but Galway lifted their game after the restart and Farragher’s goal put them in the driving seat.

Tipperary, despite being ravaged by injuries, never gave up and three points from frees by Sweeney and a couple from play by sub Bernard O’Brien ensured anxious moments for the Galway supporters in the crowd of 3,608.

But Tipperary never looked like getting the goal they required to lift their comeback, although Sweeney went close in the dying moments but Galway goalkeeper Manus Breathnach brought off another good save as the Tribesmen ended their seven-match losing run in the qualifiers and booked their place in the next round.

Galway: M Breathnach; C Forde, F Hanley, K Kelly; C Doherty, G O’Donnell, G Sice: P Conroy (0-01), G Higgins; J O’Brien, S Armstrong (0-04), M Farragher (1-01); M Hehir (0-01), M Meehan (0-02, 0-01f), D Cummins (0-03).

Subs used: D O’Neill for Sice (64), T Flynn for O’Brien (68), F O Curraoin for Farragher (61), M Martin for Meehan (60).

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald; A Morrissey, P Codd, J Coghlan; B Fox (0-01), D Lynch, D Leahy; H Coghlan (0-01), S O’Brien; L Allen, P Acheson (0-01), I Fahey; C Sweeney (0-05), P Quirke, G Hannigan.

Subs used: B O’Brien (0-02) for Fahey 56, A Matassa (0-01) for S O’Brien 60, B Mulvihill for Lynch 49.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use