Cavan 0-13 Fermanagh 0-11

Updated: Monday, 17 Jun 2013 14:53 | Comments

Fermanagh's Eoin Donnelly blocks an effort from Declan McKiernan
Fermanagh's Eoin Donnelly blocks an effort from Declan McKiernan

Cavan battled to a 0-13 to 0-11 win over Fermanagh in the Ulster Championship semi-final at Brewster Park.

They survived a spirited Erne fightback to record their second win of the provincial series.

Eugene Keating and Niall McDermott hit two points each as Cavan went in at half-time with a 0-7 to 0-3 lead.

Fermanagh fought back to go level with four Daniel Kille frees, but the Breffni men finished strongly with two late Martin Dunne points to set up a semi-final date with Monaghan.

In front of a crowd of 9,352, Cavan raced into a three-point lead inside the opening five minutes. Midfielder Damien O’Reilly opened the scoring, before a classic breakaway saw Niall McDermott double the advantage after Sean Quigley had a shot blocked at the other end.

McDermott made it three-nil from a free, and Cian Mackey, producing a more effective job as sweeper than Fermanagh’s Conor Quigley, pushed forward to slot over a fourth Breffni point.

Cavan had a penalty call ignored by referee Cormac Reilly when Eugene Keating appeared to be fouled as a high ball dropped into the danger area.

Many Fermanagh attacks ended in frustration with players carrying the ball blindly into the tackle, and it wasn't until the 26th minute that they registered their first score - a well struck effort from wide on the right by Ryan Jones.

Tomas Corrigan came off the bench to score with his first touch, and when wing back Declan McCusker hit the target, the deficit was down to two.

But the Breffni men finished the first half with a flourish, Eugene Keating thumping over two wonderful points to send his side in with a 0-7 to 0-3 lead.

But Fermanagh made a flying start to the second half, with Ryan Jones, at the heart of a series of penetrating moves, setting up points for midfielders Eoin Donnelly and veteran Marty McGrath.

Daniel Kille came off the bench to slot four frees between the posts, and with Eoin Donnelly rising to the challenge with a powerhouse midfield display, the Lakeland county rose to the challenge.

Sean Quigley punched over a point to put the Breffni county under increasing pressure, but they were able to keep their noses in front with scores from Keating and Dunne.

Almost inevitably, however, Kille brought Fermanagh level in the 57th minute, and a thrilling contest was building to a tense climax.

But it was Cavan who were able to find that extra gear in the closing stages.

Dunne, who had been well marshalled by John Woods, drifted out wide to slice over a gem, and a free needlessly conceded in stoppage time gave the Cavan Gaels man the opportunity to clinch it and send Cavan through to a last four meeting with Monaghan.

Fermanagh: C Snow, J Woods, B Cox, D Kelly, D McCusker (0-1), R McCluskey, M O’Brien, E Donnelly (0-1), M McGrath (0-1), C Quigley, S McCabe, R Jones (0-1), P Ward, S Quigley (0-1), T McElroy.

Subs: T Corrigan (0-2) for Ward, D Kille (0-4, 4f) for C Quigley, S Lyons for McGrath, B Owens for S Quigley

Cavan: C Gilsenan, J McLoughlin, R Dunne, K Clarke, J McEnroe, A Clarke, R Flanagan, D O’Reilly (0-1), D Givney, C Mackey (0-1), J Brady, F Flanagan, N McDermott (0-2, 1f), M Dunne (0-5, 2f), E Keating (0-3).

Subs: D McKiernan for McEnroe, M Reilly (0-1) for Brady, T Corr for McKiernan, N Murray for McDermott

Referee: C Reilly (Meath)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use