/ GAA

Eamonn O'Hara calls on Sligo boss Kevin Walsh to fall on his sword following loss to London

Updated: Monday, 27 May 2013 13:10 | Comments

Kevin Walsh's tenure as Sligo boss looks in jeopardy after the county's shock defeat to London
Kevin Walsh's tenure as Sligo boss looks in jeopardy after the county's shock defeat to London

Video

Eamonn O’Hara believes Sligo manager Kevin Walsh should resign in the wake of the side’s shock defeat to London in the Connacht SFC in Ruislip on Sunday.

The former All Star criticised the standard of training, selection policy and tactics employed by Walsh following their 1-12 to 0-14 loss in Ruislip.

Speaking on The Sunday Game, O’Hara said he expects Walsh to tender his resignation.

He said: “I think he will (resign) and I think he should do the county board a favour.

“There are a lot of problems within the county board from the top down. There is a lot of infighting and a lot of resignations at county board level. We have a centre of excellence that is at a standstill. The keys should be handed over on 1 June and that is not going to happen. There are a lot of problems there and Kevin Walsh’s results over the last two years have gone unnoticed because of this infighting.

“He hasn’t been held accountable to this. We got to a Connacht final last year but we’re papering over the cracks. There are players there that deserve better quality of training and management and I think going forward Kevin should make the right decision for the sake of Sligo football and not anybody else.”

"Kevin Walsh made big calls this year and last year. Every one of them has come back to backfire against him." - Former Sligo star Eamonn O’Hara was unequivocal in his criticism of the Sligo manager

O’Hara announced his retirement from inter-county football earlier this month as Walsh opted not to include him in their panel this season.

The 37-year-old questioned the decision by Walsh to omit him, feeling there was a contradiction in the reasons for leaving him out.

He labelled the training requirement “crazy” and hinted that he felt the dedication Walsh demanded at the time was not present from the manager.

“Kevin Walsh came at the start of the year and he decided that he wanted full commitment from everybody from 1 November. He was asking players for commitment and a big commitment at that stage but he hadn’t accepted the Sligo manager role at that stage. There were reports he had shown interest in the Roscommon job and he was waiting for that to come through, in terms of would he get it, or would he get an interview.

“For me, he was asking me at 37 years of age to commit to a training regime of four nights a week collective sessions on 1 November, it was crazy as far as I was concerned.

“Unfortunately work and everything else conspired against me committing to that and I said I would be available from 1 January. Kevin made it quite clear throughout the year he was going to stick with the panel of players that trained from 1 November and you have no problem with that.

“But he opened the door to James Kilcullen, a Mayo man, and rightly so. James is a fantastic footballer and contributed a lot to the league. But unfortunately James was playing club football for his club yesterday Ballaghdareen. So he wasn’t first choice midfielder as he was throughout the year. Kevin Walsh made big calls this year and last year. Every one of them has come back to backfire against him. For me I think he lost the players throughout the year.

“These players deserve an awful lot more, to be honest with you. They have worked very, very hard and they have trained extremely hard. I know that first hand. But they deserve better training sessions. They deserve better quality in terms of tactical awareness and stuff like that and that hasn’t come.

“Kevin Walsh has a lot to answer for.”

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use