New York 0-07 Leitrim 4-19

Updated: Sunday, 05 May 2013 22:56 | Comments

New York proved no match for their visitors from Connacht
New York proved no match for their visitors from Connacht

New York succumbed to a 24-point defeat, 4-19 to 0-07, for the second year in-a-row in the Connacht Championship as Leitrim dominated this quarter-final tie at Gaelic Park.

Emlyn Mulligan scored two second-half goals on the way to a 3-07 personal haul.

Rob Lowe also netted, helping the visitors take a 2-08 to 0-05 interval lead.

Leitrim added 1-09 without reply on the restart.

New York's woes were compounded late on when CJ Molloy was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Connie Molloy's Exiles were dealt a blow before the throw-in with former Monaghan footballer Rory Woods unable to start due to a back injury.

His place in the New York attack was taken by Armagh native Kevin McGeeney, cousin of current Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney.

Leitrim started with the same team named in midweek, with Mulligan and Gary Reynolds the only survivors from Leitrim's last trip to the Bronx back in the 2008 Championship when they recorded a 0-17 to 0-06 victory.

New York registered their first wide after just 45 seconds before Mulligan had a goal chance at the opposite end, but despite a fumble by New York goalkeeper Gavin Joyce, the advancing Lowe failed to score.

The hosts were eager for scores in the opening stages, but Conor Lynam struck a fourth minute wide before Jason Kelly claimed the first of his two opening-half points.

Leitrim responded strongly, adding 1-03 without reply as the visitors got a firm foothold at midfield.

Defender Wayne McKeon opened the Leitrim account after six minutes, and then a quick score from Darren Sweeney gave his side a lead they would not relinquish.

Leitrim kept up their momentum, and despite Gary O'Driscoll battling hard in the middle for the Exiles, James Glancy broke forward to clip over a fine point and make it 0-03 to 0-01.

Mulligan was playing at full-forward with Glancy dropping back as Leitrim began to look sharper in attack.

The visitors broke through for their first goal with exactly ten minutes on the clock.

Wayne McKeon burst up the right wing, finding Mulligan who fed Lowe and the St Mary's clubman finished well to push Leitrim 1-03 to 0-01 ahead.

Kelly bagged New York's second point soon after, but Leitrim pressed on with Mulligan finding his range in the 13th minute.

Kelly broke through for a rare goal-scoring opportunity for the hosts, but Leitrim goalkeeper Cathal McCrann was equal to the Offaly man's shot which was duly cleared to safety by Gary Reynolds.

New York fired two wides in succession before Leitrim shot 1-02 without reply in a four-minute spell.

Gerry Hickey and Mulligan picked off the points and Mulligan bulged the net in the 20th minute after a mistake by New York full-back Michael O'Regan.

2-06 to 0-02 ahead after 22 minutes, Leitrim's dominance was not as strong approaching half-time as New York matched their opponents well.

New York outscored Leitrim by 0-03 to 0-02 in the closing ten minutes of the half with Justin Burke, Conor Lynam and Michael Annett each taking scores for the hosts, cutting the gap to 2-08 to 0-05 at the break.

The hosts made two changes for the start of the second period with Woods introduced in place of McGeeney, while New York native Donnacha O'Dwyer replaced captain Paul Lambe.

But Leitrim were in no mood to slacken off and resumed in fine fettle.

Firstly, Conor Beirne became the seventh Leitrim player to etch his name on the scoresheet, hitting a point inside 30 seconds of the restart.

Leitrim continued to cause the New York defence headaches, as Mulligan got through for his side's third goal in the 38th minute.

Paul Brennan found his former Melvin Gaels colleague, and Mulligan was able to send a low shot to the left of New York stopper Gavin Joyce as the hosts fell 3-09 to 0-05 behind.

Points from Kevin Conlon, Lowe and Mulligan ensured a 16-point lead after 45 minutes.

The visitors continued to hold firm dominance with Mulligan lethal, while Glancy, Tomas Beirne and substitute Brendan Brennan also knocked over scores.

Brennan's 56th minute point gave Leitrim a 21-point cushion.

Leitrim joint-managers Brian Breen and George Dugdale began to empty the bench at this stage, with Brennan, Ray Cox and Barry Prior all introduced.

Molloy ended the Exiles' scoreless run in the 60th minute with a well struck free, but the New York native was given his marching orders by referee Martin Higgins a minute later after picking up a second yellow card.

Leitrim finished strongly, outscoring New York by 1-03 to 0-01 in the closing four minutes, with Mulligan completing his hat-trick of goals at the death.

After their Stateside success, Leitrim now turn their attentions to a provincial semi-final against either Sligo or London on 23 June.

New York's next game will be against Leitrim in the FBD League final on October 6, again at Gaelic Park.

NEW YORK: Gavin Joyce; Paul Lambe, Michael O'Regan, Daniel Jackson; Lonan Maguire, Keith Scally, Alan Raftery; Gary O'Driscoll, CJ Molloy (0-01, 0-01f); Eoin Ward, Jason Kelly (0-02, 0-02f), Conor Lynam (0-01); Michael Annett (0-01, 0-01f), Kevin McGeeney, Justin Burke (0-01).

Subs used: Conor Hogan for Ward (26 mins), Rory Woods (0-01) for Kelly, Donnacha O'Dwyer for Lambe (both half-time).

LEITRIM: Cathal McCrann; Alan Wynne, Fabian McMorrow, Paddy Maguire; Danny Beck, Gary Reynolds, Wayne McKeon (0-01); Tomas Beirne (0-02), Darren Sweeney (0-01); Paul Brennan, Emlyn Mulligan (3-07, 0-05f), Gerry Hickey (0-01); Kevin Conlon (0-01, 0-01f), James Glancy (0-03), Rob Lowe (1-01).

Subs used: Ray Cox for Hickey (45 mins), Brendan Brennan (0-02) for Sweeney, Barry Prior for Conlon (both 56), Enda Williams for Maguire (63).

Referee: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use