Tyrone 0-08 Cork 0-14

Updated: Sunday, 10 Mar 2013 17:44 | Comments

Cork had too much for Tyrone in Healy Park
Cork had too much for Tyrone in Healy Park

Cork ended Tyrone’s unbeaten run in the Allianz Football League Division 1 with a convincing win at Healy Park.

Colm O’Neill (3) and Donncha O’Connor (2) led the way as Cork moved into a 0-08 to 0-04 interval lead.

Man of the match Aidan Walsh hit three points, and O’Neill finished with five as the Rebels dominated on their way to a runaway win.

Ronan O’Neill top-scored for Tyrone with two points on a day they will quickly want to put behind them.

Cork started strongly, dominating the opening five minutes, and going ahead with two converted frees from Colm O’Neill

Tyrone did have their chances but goalkeeper Niall Morgan was off target with a ling range free, and they fell further behind when Barry O’Driscoll landed the game’s first point from play.

The Red Hands didn’t get their opening score until the 18th minute, when Ronan O’Neill squeezed his shot over from a tight angle.

And they quickly added two more to go level, Stephen O’Neill and Kyle Coney both hitting the target.

But the Rebels, getting the edge in midfield through Graham Canty and Aidan Walsh, restored their two points advantage with points from O’Neill and substitute Donncha O’Connor.

They scored five of the last six points of the half, hitting majestic scores through Walsh, O’Connor and Paul Kerrigan, to go in at the break with a 0-08 to 0-04 lead.

And the Munster men stretched their lead with two more in the opening two minutes of the second half.

Mark Collins clipped over a free, and the excellent Walsh powered through for another eye-catching strike from distance

Tyrone made a raft of positional switches, pushing Joe McMahon and Colm Cavanagh into attack, but they couldn’t live with the energy and drive of Walsh, and failed definitively in their efforts to turn the game around.

They could only manage four points in the second half, while their opponents teased and tested a defence that was pulled and stretched by the clever running lines of P{aul Kerrigan and Fintan Goold.

Walsh powered over two more splendid scores, and there was another wonderful effort from O’Neill, who curled his shot over the bar from wide on the right.

Joe McMahon took over the long range free kicking duties from goalkeeper Niall Morgan and sent a 55 metre effort between the posts, and the home side also registered scores from Ronan O’Neill and martin Penrose frees.

Mickey Harte’s side did create the game’s only genuine goal chance when Sean Cavanagh crafted the opening for substitute Penrose, but he drilled his shot into the side netting.

Tyrone scorers: R O’Neill 0-02 (1f), S Cavanagh (f), J McMahon (f), C Gormley (f), K Coney, S O’Neill, M Penrose (f) 0-01 each.

Cork scorers: C O’Neill 0-05 (3f), A Walsh 0-03, P Kerrigan, D O’Connor 0-02 each, M Collins (f), B O’Driscoll 0-01 each.

Tyrone: N Morgan, A McCrory, C Gormley, C McCarron, R McKenna, Joe McMahon, R McNamee, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, P McNeice, P Harte, Mattie Donnelly, K Coney, S O’Neill, R O’Neill.
Subs: A Cassidy for McNeice (h-t), Mark Donnelly for R O’Neill (53), C McGinley for McKenna (55), M Penrose for Coney (58)

Cork: K O’Halloran, M Shields, P Kissane, E Cadogan, T Clancy, N O’Leary, J O’Sullivan, G Canty, A Walsh, F Goold, M Collins, P Kerrigan, B O’Driscoll, C Sheehan, C O’Neill.
Subs: D O’Connor for Sheehan (20), J McLoughlin for O’Sullivan (h-t), C O’Driscoll for B O’Driscoll (53)

Referee: C Reilly (Meath).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use