DIT 3-08 UCC 0-07

Updated: Saturday, 23 Feb 2013 18:04 | Comments

DIT had too much fire-power for UCC The DIT panel which won their first ever Sigerson Cup
DIT had too much fire-power for UCC The DIT panel which won their first ever Sigerson Cup

Dublin Institute of Technology are Irish Daily Mail Sigerson Cup champions for the very first time.

DIT beat 20-time winners University College Cork by ten points, 3-08 to 0-07, in this afternoon’s final at a bitterly cold Athlone IT.

UCC were also reduced to 14 men in stoppage time when Darragh O’Sullivan received a straight red card from match referee Maurice Deegan.

Sub O’Sullivan, who was introduced in the 48th minute, lashed out at DIT’s Shane O’Connor and was duly dismissed.

The game was up for UCC at that stage in any event as minutes earlier, DIT had scored their third goal of the game.

Ciaran Reddin and Jason Doherty scored super first-half goals to help establish a 2-04 to 0-04 interval lead before Cavan midfielder David Givney put the icing on the cake in the 58th minute.

Givney was one of the real stars of Sigerson weekend and could line out for Ulster in tomorrow’s Interprovincial final at Croke Park.

He formed a formidable midfield pairing for DIT alongside Mayo powerhouse Aidan O’Shea, who added the Sigerson Cup to the two League crowns and Freshers title that he had previously collected.

At the back, TG4 man of the match Bryan Menton was excellent again.

Menton completely blotted out Donegal’s 2012 All-Ireland winning captain Michael Murphy when DIT, who were 4-1 before throw-in, shocked last year’s winners Dublin City University.

And Menton put the shackles on Kerry’s Conor Cox yesterday, a forward who had registered 0-22 in his three previous UCC outings.

DIT, who also won the League title before Christmas, registered nine first-half wides but they still cut through for two first-half goals.

The first was a quite breathtaking team effort as Givney won possession at midfield before transferring the ball Mayo forward Doherty on the right touchline.

Doherty sent a quick pass to Kerry ace Darran O’Sullivan and when he fed Ciaran Reddin, the Dubliner finished well with a low finish.

UCC, who managed just three points from play in the entire game, endured a 14-minute barren spell in the first half.

And they were rocked by a second DIT goal in the 27th minute as Reddin’s long ball was touched down by Kildare’s impressive full-forward Tomás O’Connor for Doherty, who slammed his shot into the corner of the net.

In the second half, DIT had little difficulty keeping a demoralised UCC, who had scored 1-20 in their semi-final victory over hosts Athlone IT, at arm’s length.

And Givney scored the goal that his performance deserved when he slotted a low drive into the net off the upright with the clock ticking down.

UCC: S Mellet; P Galvin, E O’Mahony, N Daly; J O’Sullivan, P Crowley, T Clancy (0-01); P Acheson, JB Spillane; K O’Driscoll, L Connolly (0-01, 45), B Coughlan (0-01); G O’Grady, C Cox (0-01f), C Sweeney (0-03, 2f).

Subs: D O’Sullivan for Coughlan (48), P Murphy for Clancy (48), E Buckley for O’Grady (52).

DIT: R Lambert; K O’Brien, B Menton, G O’Hare (0-01); C Walshe, N Devereaux, R Sheridan; A O’Shea, D Givney (1-02); M Reilly, D O’Sullivan, C Reddin (1-01); M Collins, T O’Connor (0-01), J Doherty (1-02, 0-2f).

Subs: B Allen for Reddin (41), A Nestor for Sheridan (47), P Maguire (0-01) for Reilly (51), S O’Connor for O’Sullivan (53), J McGrath for O’Connor 59).

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use