Louth 0-17 Galway 0-11

Updated: Saturday, 23 Feb 2013 16:51 | Comments

Louth prevailed thanks to a strong second-half performance
Louth prevailed thanks to a strong second-half performance

Louth bounced back from their opening weekend loss to Westmeath to run out decisive winners over Galway, 0-17 to 0-11, in the re-fixed Allianz National Football League Division 2 tie at Drogheda.

The sides were level 0-08 each at the end of an entertaining first-half.

But Louth pulled away in the second-half despite a snowfall and Aidan O'Rourke's men picked off some excellent points.

Galway, who defeated Derry in their opening game, managed just three points in the second-half.

An early Galway lead, with points from Sean Armstrong and Niall Coleman, in response to an opening-minute effort from Mark Brennan, was wiped out as Louth took control to shoot the next five points.

Padraig Smith, Paddy Keenan, Andy McDonnell, Adrian Reid and Shane Lennon all found the range for a Louth side who brought plenty of players back behind the ball and then broke at pace.

But Galway, who had a good chance from Sean Denvir saved by Louth goalkeeper Niall Gallagher, settled as Niall Coleman and Paul Conroy started to win ball around the middle of the field and Michael Martin, Michael Meehan and a superb Eoin Concannon effort reduced the margin to 0-06 to 0-05 after 19 minutes.

Shane Lennon and Armstrong exchanged points and Brian White landed a good free to push Louth two ahead but Galway finished the half strongly and pointed frees from Meehan and Armstrong saw them draw level by the break.

Early points from Brian White and Ciaran Byrne after half-time pushed Louth into a lead they never surrendered as Galway lost their way.

The hard-working Coleman and Danny Cummins pulled back points for Galway but they were struggling to stay in the game as White dominated around the middle of the field.

Louth led by 0-12 to 0-10 after 53 minutes but the home side pushed on from there and two points from Paddy Keenan and another from White extended their lead before sub Derek Maguire kicked two points shortly after coming on to see them run out deserving winners.

Galway recorded their only score in the final 17 minutes when Michael Meehan pointed an injury-time free.

Louth: B White 0-04 (2f, 1 ’45), S Lennon 0-03 (2f), P Keenan 0-03, D Maguire 0-02, M Brennan 0-01, A McDonnell 0-01, A Reid 0-01, P Smith 0-01, C Byrne 0-01.

Galway: M Meehan 0-03 (2f), S Armstrong 0-03 (2f), N Coleman 0-2, E Concannon 0-01, M Martin 0-01, D Cummins 0-01.

Louth: N Gallagher; S O’Brien, D Finnegan (L Shevlin, 69), G Hoey; C McGuinness, D Crilly, A Reid; P Keenan, M Fanning (B Donnelly, 27); A McDonnell, M Brennan, B White; P Smith (D Maguire, 63), S Lennon (R Carroll, 68), K Rogers (C Byrne, 35).

Galway: M Breathnach; J Moore, F Hanley, J Duane; C Sweeney (F O Curraoin, 45), G Sice, G Sweeney; N Coleman, P Conroy; E Concannon, M Martin (C Costello, 45), S Denvir (M Boyle, 66); S Armstrong, M Meehan, D Cummins (M Hehir, 56).

Referee: D Fahy (Longford).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use