Ballaghaderreen and St Brigid's set for Connacht final showdown

Updated: Monday, 12 Nov 2012 10:52 | Comments

Ted Fuman scores a goal for Ballymun
Ted Fuman scores a goal for Ballymun

This year's Connacht Football final will be between Ballaghaderreen of Mayo and Roscommon side St Brigid's.

St Brigid’s claimed a comfortable 0-15 to 0-08 semi-final victory over over Salthill Knocknacarra, while Ballaghderreen claimed an equally convincing win over Mayo side Curry in their encounter at MacHale Park winning 1-15 to 1-07.

Thomas Burke of Salthill and Karol Mannion of St Brigid's

After a tight opening at Pearse Stadium, in which Salthill kept the early pace with St Brigid’s, the Roscommon side took control and were never troubled in the second half and they stretched their lead to seven points.

Barry Regan was the star of the show for Ballaghaderreen, claiming eight points that proved to be the difference between his side and Curry.

A shock looked to be on the card when David Maye put Curry into a 1-01 to 0-02 with his goal after seven minutes but Ballaghaderreen soon took control and when John Feeney was sent off for the Sligo side, the writing was on the wall and Ballaghaderreen ran out comfortable winners.

The Leinster club semi-final line-up has been confirmed after today’s quarter-finals all produced conclusive results. Portlaoise will play Killoe in their semi-final while Sarsfields and Ballymun-Kickhams face off in the other semi-final.

Portlaoise cruised to a massive 3-15 to 0-04 victory over Wicklow champions St Patrick’s at Aughrim.

St. Patrick’s Tommy Kelly and Brian Mulligan of Portlaoise

Goals from Conor Boyle and Tommy Fitzgerald helped the visitors to a 2-06 0-00 lead at half-time and although St Patrick’s manage to get on the score sheet in the second half, it was never going to be enough.

While things weren’t as one-sided at Pearse Park, Emmet Og Killoe claimed a convincing 2-13 0-08 victory against Navan O’Mahonys of Meath.

O’Mahonys were able to keep pace in the first half, hanging in and only trailing by 0-07 0-04 at the break but Emmet Og took complete control in the second half and two goals in as many minutes from Simon Kiernan and Mickey Quinn proved to be decisive.

Dublin’s Ballymun Kickhams won on a similar scoreline against Mullingar Shamrocks, beating the Westmeath side 2-13 0-07.

Ballymun raced into an early four-point lead before a Davy Byrne goal left Mullingar Shamrocks a mountain to climb and they trailed 1-07 to 0-03 at the midway point.

The second half proved to be a stroll in the park for Kickhams, with Ted Furman’s goal just after the restart immediately killing any hopes of a revival from the Westmeath side.

The quarter-final between Sarsfields of Kildare and St Patrick’s of Louth proved to be the closest of the afternoon, but the team from the Lilywhite county ran out 1-12 to 2-06 winners.

Martin Aherne (Crossmaglen) and Michael Martin (St Eunans)

Elsewhere in the Ulster Football Championship, Crossmaglen Rangers impressed in their 3-11 1-07 quarter-final victory over St Eunan’s of Donegal.

Kyle Carragher, Arron Kernan and Jamie Clarke all found the net for the Armagh side, who will face Errigal Ciaran in next weekend’s semi-final.

Connacht Club SFC semi-finals
Salthill-Knocknacarra (Galway) 0-8 St Brigid's (Roscommon) 0-15
Ballaghaderreen (Mayo) 1-15 Curry (Sligo) 1-7

Leinster Club SFC quarter-finals
St Patrick’s (Wicklow) 0-4 Portlaoise (Laois) 3-15
Emmet Og Killoe (Longford) 2-13 Navan O'Mahonys (Meath) 0-8
Sarsfields (Kildare) 1-12 St Patrick’s (Louth) 2-6
Mullingar Shamrocks (Westmeath) 0-7 Ballymun Kickhams (Dublin) 2-13

Ulster Club SFC quarter-final
Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) 3-11 St Eunan's (Donegal) 1-7  

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use