Round up: Senior football county finals

Updated: Sunday, 28 Oct 2012 20:28 | Comments

Ballaghadereen's Barry Regan celebrates Sarsfields were crowned Kildare champions after a 2-11 to 0-11 win over Carbury
Ballaghadereen's Barry Regan celebrates Sarsfields were crowned Kildare champions after a 2-11 to 0-11 win over Carbury

Ballaghadereen were crowned Mayo senior football champions after they claimed a convincing 1-09 to 0-04 victory over Ballintubber in Castlebar.

In a one-sided affair, low on drama, Ballaghadereen lead from start to finish.

Early points from Barry Regan, Keith Rogers and Joe Dillon put them firmly in the driving seat.

Jason Gibbons, Damien McGing and Alan Dillon were on the mark for Ballintubber in the first half as their side trailed 0-06 0-03 at the break but that was as good as it was to get for them and a late goal from midfielder Barry Kelly was the icing on the cake for Ballaghadereen.

In Celtic Park, the 14 men of Ballinderry edged out Slaughtneil by 1-10 to 0-10 to take victory in the Derry final.

Ballinderry's Ray Wilson was sent off with ten minutes to go as his side held a narrow 1-08 to 0-10 lead over their rivals but two late points from Conleth Gilligan proved decisive and ensured it was Ballinderry who celebrated at the final whistle.

Kilcoo are the Down champions after they ran out 2-08 to 1-08 winners over Mayobridge.

Conor Laverty’s first half goal helped Kilcoo to a 1-05 0-05 lead at the break before Felim McGreevy claimed a second goal midway through the second half.

Kevin O’Rourke found the net for Mayobridge after that to give his side hope but in the end they were unable to close the gap.

At Newbridge, Sarsfields were crowned Kildare champions after they battled their way to a 2-11 to 0-11 win over Carbury.

Goals were the difference as Sarsfields battled back from a 0-07 0-05 deficit at the break. Declan McKenna found the net on 47 minutes before Conor Tiernan scored a goal from a late penalty.

The Clare final between Kilmurry-Ibrickane and St Joseph's was a low scoring affair with Kilmurry running out 0-10 to 0-04 victors.

Portloaise continued their domination of Laois football as a straight-forward 1-13 to 0-09 victory over Arles-Kilcruise saw them win the Laois SFC final for the sixth consecutive year.

In Longford, Emmet Óg Killoe needed extra-time to claim a 0-15 0-12 win in their SFC replay final over Longford Slashers.

Just as it was last week, the sides were level when the full-time whistle went at 0-12 0-12 but it Emmet Og took control in injury time they edged their way to victory.

The Limerick SFC final will also require a replay as Drom-Broadford and Newcastlewest drew 0-13 to 2-07 at the Gaelic Grounds. While Garrycastle and Mullingar Shamrocks will also have to do it all again as they drew 3-09 3-09 in the Westmeath final.

Meanwhile, in the Ulster club SFC preliminary round, Errigal Ciaran of Tyrone defeated Cavan's Mullahoran 4-15 to 1-07.

Westmeath SFC final
Garrycastle 3-9 Mullingar Shamrocks 3-9

Clare SFC final
Kilmurry-Ibrickane 0-10 St Joseph's 0-4

Derry SFC final
Ballinderry 1-10 Slaughtneil 0-10

Down SFC final
Kilcoo 2-8 Mayobridge 1-8

Kildare SFC final
Sarsfields 2-11 Carbury 0-11

Laois SFC final
Portlaoise 1-13 Arles-Kilcruise 0-9

Limerick SFC final
Drom-Broadford 0-13 Newcastlewest 2-7

Longford SFC final replay
Emmet Og Killoe 0-15 Longford Slashers 0-12 AET

Mayo SFC final
Ballaghadereen 1-9 Ballintubber 0-4

Ulster club SFC preliminary round
Errigal Ciaran (Tyrone) 4-15 Mullahoran (Cavan) 1-7


Carlow SHC final
Mount Leinster Rangers 3-13 Erin's Own 0-06

Meath SHC final
Kiltale 1-14 Killyon 0-14

Wicklow SHC final
Glenealy 1-11 Carnew Emmets 0-10

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use