Tipperary recorded one of the shocks of the 2012 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship by sending fancied Wexford crashing out this afternoon.

Peter Creedon’s underdogs recorded a sensational one-point victory against the Slaneysiders at Semple Stadium.

Wexford sub Ben Brosnan had a chance to take the game into extra-time deep in stoppage time but dragged a long-range effort wide of the posts.

And Tipp held out to record a second championship victory of the season.

Creedon’s men had beaten Offaly in round one of the qualifiers but this latest fixture represented a real step up in class.

Wexford had ran Dublin desperately close in the Leinster semi-final and walloped Tipp by 2-20 to 1-08 in Division 3 of the Allianz League earlier this year.

But Tipp reversed that result in spectacular fashion – with 2011 All-Ireland minor medallist Michael Quinlivan leading the charge.

Quinlivan, 19, hit four points, including three from play, while Brian Fox turned in another magnificent display at right half back.

Donagh Leahy’s 14th-minute goal helped Tipp to lead by 1-06 to 0-06 at half-time – and it was a superbly-improvised effort.

Leahy was dumped on his backside close to the Wexford goal but somehow managed to swing a left boot at the ball and send a shot past Anthony Masterson in the Wexford goal.

And just ten minutes before half-time, Tipp were seven points clear – 1-06 to 0-03 – when Quinlivan popped over a point.

But Wexford hit back with a run of four unanswered scores before the break to trail by 0-06 to 1-06 at half-time.

Tipp opened the second half impressively with a brace of scores to move five clear but Wexford’s response was to hit four without reply again.

They were now back to within a single point with over 20 minutes remaining and the scene was set for a grandstand finish.

And what a finish it was as Wexford drew level through Shane Roche in the 54th minute.

Tipp would hit back to lead by two points on three occasions before the finish.

Each time, Wexford responded to cut the gap back to the bare minimum but Tipp held out to book their place in round 3.


Tipperary: M Quinlivan 0-04 (1f), D Leahy 1-00, P Austin, B Fox & A Maloney (2f) 0-02 each, A Campbell, H Coghlan & P Acheson 0-01 each.

Wexford: S Roche 0-05 (3f), R Barry 0-04 (3f, 1 45), PJ Banville 0-03, C Lyng 0-2, B Brosnan 0-01

Wexford Team: A Masterson; G Molloy, L Chin, R Tierney; B Malone, D Murphy, A Doyle; A Flynn, D Waters; R Barry, C Morris, C Carty; PJ Banville, C Lyng, S Roche.

Subs: P Byrne for C Carty (44), B Brosnan (0-1) for Morris (44), E Bradley for Roche (60), N Murphy for Doyle (70).

Tipperary Team: P Fitzgerald; A Morrissey, P Codd, C McDonald; B Fox, R Kiely, A Campbell; G Hannigan, H Coghlan; R Ryan, B Mulvihill, D Leahy; M Quinlivan, P Austin, P Acheson.

Subs: A Maloney for Mulvihill (35), S Scully for Ryan (51), A Matassa for Scully (65), B Mulvihill for Austin (66), L Egan for Quinlivan (70).

Referee: Michael Duffy (Sligo).