Mayo 1-13 Cork 2-06

Updated: Sunday, 31 Jul 2011 17:55

Kevin McLoughlin - Got Mayo back into the game with a fine solo effort Donncha O'Connor - Opened the scoring with a penalty after six minutes
Kevin McLoughlin - Got Mayo back into the game with a fine solo effort Donncha O'Connor - Opened the scoring with a penalty after six minutes

Mayo 1-13 Cork 2-6

Mayo shocked Sam Maguire Cup holders Cork to set up an All-Ireland semi-final clash with Kerry.

The Connacht champions produced a compelling second half display at Croke Park to deservedly end the reign of the champions.

The Rebels could not compete with the energy and drive of James Horan’s side as they marched to a famous victory.

Cork were a major disappointment, scoring just one point in the second half as they surrendered their crown meekly.

In front of a crowd of 22,732, Cork got off to the perfect start when Donncha O’Connor slotted home a penalty after he had been brought down by Keith Higgins after just five minutes.

The Rebels, with points from O’Connor, Fintan Goold and Paul Kerrigan, opened out a 1-4 to 0-1 lead by the 15th minute, and could have had a second goal, when Kerrigan blasted over after getting on the end of a move involving Goold, Pearse O’Neill, Paudie Kissane and Alan O’Connor.

But Mayo began to move with purpose at the beginning of the second quarter, cutting the deficit with points from Kevin McLoughlin and Cillian O’Connor.

And in the 22nd minute, McLoughlin spotted a gap in the Cork defence, darted through and planted a superb shot past Alan Quirke, narrowing the margin to a single point.

Two minutes later Cork cancelled out that goal with their second major. Fiachra Lynch fisted the ball towards the far post, where Kerrigan stretched to deflect it past Robert Hennelly.

The westerners quickly recovered from this latest setback, and hit three of the half’s last four points, with O’Connor converting his fourth free.

At the break, Cork led by 2-5 to 1-6, but the sides were level five minutes after the restart.

First Enda Varley tapped over a free, then goalkeeper Robert Hennelly drove a ’45 sweetly between the posts.

And the Connacht kingpins took the lead for the first time on 43 minutes, O’Connor’s delightful pass sending skipper Alan Dillon in for a point.

It took Cork 17 minutes to get their first, and only, score of the second half, a fisted score from centre back John Miskella which brought the sides level at 2-6 to 1-9.

Cornerback Keith Higgins regained the lead for Mayo, who were now winning an ample share of breaking ball around midfield, thanks to the Trojan efforts of Aidan O’Shea.

Cork did open up the Mayo defence for substitute Mark Collins to create a goal chance for Fintan Goold, but the Macroom man failed to test the ‘keeper, blazing his shot badly wide.

Substitute Jason Doherty opened out a two points lead with a wonderful point, and there was no stopping rampant Mayo at this stage.

Cork were unable to penetrate a Mayo defence in which Higgins, Ger Cafferkey and Trevor Mortimer were excellent.

It was Cillian O’Connor who sealed the win with two late points, bringing his tally to six, and Cork finished with 14 men after John Miskella received a straight red card.

Mayo scorers: K McLoughlin 1-1, C O’Connor 0-6 (5f), E Varley (f), K Higgins, A Dillon, A Moran, J Doherty, R Hennelly (’45) 0-1 each

Cork scorers: D O’Connor 1-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1 ’45), P Kerrigan 1-2, J Miskella, F Goold (f) 0-1 each.

Mayo: R Hennelly, K Higgins, G Cafferkey, T Cunniffe, R Feeney, D Vaughan, T Mortimer, A O’Shea, S O’Shea, K McLoughlin, A Dillon, A Moran, E Varley, A Freeman, C O’Connor.

Subs: P J Doherty for Varley, P Gardiner for Freeman, R McGarrity for S O’Shea, L Keegan for Feeney

Cork: A Quirke, E Cotter, M Shields, E Cadogan, N O’Leary, J Miskella, P Kissane, A O’Connor, A Walsh, F Goold, P Kelly, P O’Neill, D O’Connor, F Lynch, P Kerrigan.

Subs: G Canty for O’Leary, M Collins for Lynch, N Murphy for A O’Connor, D O’Sullivan for Goold

Referee: R Hickey (Clare)