Tyrone 1-13 Monaghan 1-11

Updated: Sunday, 05 Jun 2011 20:56

Brian McGuigan - Scored the vital goal for Tyrone
Brian McGuigan - Scored the vital goal for Tyrone


Tyrone booked their place in the Ulster SFC semi-finals with a two-point win over Monaghan at Omagh.

They had to stand firm in the closing stages against a determined Farney side that finished the game with 13 men.

The Red Hands had outstanding displays from veterans Conor Gormley, Brian McGuigan and Stephen O’Neill.

But Darren Hughes and Conor McManus did almost enough to pull off what would have been a shock result for the visitors.

McManus stroked over a couple of early points to launch the Farney challenge, with Tyrone responding through Martin Penrose and Sean Cavanagh.

When McManus converted a 40-metre free for his third score, Monaghan led by 0-04 to 0-02, and were brimming with confidence.

Paul Finlay’s first-time shot zipped along the greasy surface and just wide of a post, and at the other end, Brian McGuigan also crafted a goal chance when he darted through a hole in the Monaghan defence, but blasted his shot just over the bar.

McManus and Martin Penrose swapped frees, and in the 19th minute, the home side got in for a goal.

Aidan Cassidy turned over possession at midfield, and when the ball reached Stephen O’Neill, he had a clear scoring opportunity, but spotted McGuigan’s run.

The pass was perfectly timed, and the Ardboe man drilled a left-footed drive past Mark Keogh.

Peter Harte stroked a ’45 between the posts, and Tyrone led by 1-05 to 0-05.

The outlook deteriorated for Monaghan when skipper and midfielder Dick Clerkin picked up two yellow cards in the space of 90 seconds, leaving his side with just 14 men after half an hour.

Tyrone led by 1-07 to 0-06 at half-time, but wasted a golden opportunity to open up a big lead when Penrose blazed a penalty wide after Mark Donnelly had been fouled.

And they paid the price when Monaghan full-back Darren Hughes drilled home a penalty on 50 minutes to narrow the gap to two points, 1-10 to 1-08.

Stephen O’Neill turned on the magic with two sublime points, showcasing his vast array of special skills.

But Monaghan refused to surrender, and long range scores from Hughes and Finlay made it a two-point game.

However, they lost another man in stoppage time when Dessie Mone received a straight red card for a challenge on Philip Jordan, and Tyrone held out for a semi-final clash with either Cavan or Donegal.

Tyrone scorers: B McGuigan 1-01, S Cavanagh 0-04 (0-02f), S O’Neill 0-03, M Penrose (2f), P Harte (1f, 1 ’45) 0-02 each, O Mulligan 0-01.

Monaghan scorers: D Hughes 1-01 (1-00 pen), C McManus 0-06 (5f), P Finlay 0-04 (3f).

Tyrone: P McConnell, M Swift, J McMahon, D McCaul, D Harte, C Gormley, R McMenamin, K Hughes, A Cassidy, C Cavanagh, B McGuigan, S Cavanagh, M Penrose, S O’Neill, O Mulligan.

Subs: D Carlin for McCarron (16), C Cavanagh for P Harte (43), Sean O’Neill for Carlin (51), O Mulligan for Penrose (55), K Hughes for Cassidy (65)

Monaghan: M Keogh, K Duffy, D Hughes, C Walshe, C Galligan, D Mone, O Duffy, O Lennon, D Clerkin, S Gollogly, M Downey, N McAdam, D McKenna, P Finlay, C McManus.

Subs: J Turley for Gollogly (25), C McGuinness for McKenna (h-t), D Morgan for Galligan (37), D Malone for Turley (55), B O’Brien for Duffy (65)

Referee: C Reilly (Meath)