Derry 1-10 Monaghan 0-10

Updated: Sunday, 24 May 2009 19:51

Derry's Fergal Doherty tussles with Monaghan's Dick Clerkin
Derry's Fergal Doherty tussles with Monaghan's Dick Clerkin

An ill-tempered Ulster SFC tie at Celtic Park provided the rules legislators with a compelling argument for a fresh look at reform.

A game peppered with late challenges, ugly clashes and all manner of unsavoury incidents ended in a three point win for Derry.

That Donegal referee Jimmy White sent off just one player, Derry’s
Fergal Doherty, and booked only six, was an amazing statistic.

Paddy Bradley’s eighth minute goal was allowed to stand despite
suggestions that he had been standing in the square when he punched home Enda Lynn’s left-wing cross.

Stephen Gollogly and Chris McCaigue had earlier exchanged points, and while Derry, despite playing into the wind, enjoyed territorial advantage for the most part of the opening quarter, they failed to translate it into scores

But Monaghan struggled to make inroads against a well organised Oak Leaf defence, and hit some bad wides.

The Oak Leafers went 27 minutes without hitting the target after Eoin Bradley had shot them into a 1-02 to 0-01 lead on nine minutes.

Monaghan finally began to get some momentum going, after hitting a rash of wides, the worst of these a Tommy Freeman free after full back Vinny Corey had charged forward in a bid to inspire his team-mates.

Freeman did find the target, along with Raymond Ronaghan, and it was a Paul Finlay free that edged the Farney men back in front on 33 minutes.

Paddy Bradley’s free levelled at 1-03 to 0-06 in stoppage time, and the former All Star edged Derry back in front early in the second half, before laying off for brother Eoin to curl over his second.

The Oak Leafers, now with the strong wind on their backs, should have pressed home the advantage at this stage, but allowed Monaghan to draw level for the fifth time with a Finlay free.

Rory Woods eased the Farney county back in front with a fisted effort, but the action was punctuated by incidents of indiscipline which culminated in the dismissal of Derry midfielder Doherty after a second yellow card 12 minutes from the end.

But the 14-man Oak Leafers battled back to go in front with two
excellent efforts from debutant James Kielt.

And they sealed a semi-final spot against either Tyrone or Armagh with late scores from Joe Diver and Paddy Bradley.

Derry: B Gillis, K McGuckin, K McCloy, G O’Kane, C McCaigue (0-01), B McGoldrick (0-01), SL McGoldrick, F Doherty, J Diver (0-01), B
McGuigan, P Murphy, E Lynn, E Bradley (0-02), P Bradley (1-03, 0-01f), J Kielt (0-02).

Subs: M Lynch for Murphy (40), B Mullan for Lynn (53).

Monaghan: P McBennett, D Mone, V Corey, D McArdle, D Freeman, G McQuaid, D Hughes, E Lennon, D Clerkin, C McManus, P Finlay (0-03, 3f), S Gollogly (0-01), R Ronaghan (0-02), R Woods (0-01), T Freeman (0-03, 1f).

Subs: M Downey for Ronaghan (45), C Hanratty for Lennon (46), P
McGuigan for Woods (65).

Referee: J White (Donegal).