Kilmacud Crokes 2-11 Corofin 0-11

Updated: Saturday, 21 Feb 2009 21:47

Mark Vaughan, celebrating with manager Paddy Carr, was the hero once again for Kilmacud Crokes Brian Kavanagh of Crokes is harried by Corofin's Damien Burke
Mark Vaughan, celebrating with manager Paddy Carr, was the hero once again for Kilmacud Crokes Brian Kavanagh of Crokes is harried by Corofin's Damien Burke

Mark Vaughan produced a masterclass in forward play as he registered 1-06 as Leinster Club champions Kilmacud Crokes booked their place in the AIB All-Ireland Club final with a hard fought win over Connacht champions Corofin at Mullingar's Cusack Park.

The Dubliners led by 1-05 to 0-05 after a tight first half in which Pat Burke's superb 11th minute goal, after excellent build-up work from Adrian Morrissey, separated the sides.

The Galway champions did get back on level terms on two occasions in the second half before Vaughan stepped up with a well taken individual goal in the 58th minute to put a slightly flattering two goals between the sides at the final whistle.

Corofin settled quickest and burst out of the blocks into a two-point lead inside the opening five minutes.

Alan O'Donovan was instrumental in the early stages as Corofin had the advantage of a stiff breeze at their backs, scoring the opening three points, two frees and a left-footer from play.

Crokes were 0-03 to 0-01 behind, Mark Davoren splitting O'Donovan's second and third efforts to open their account, when Burke struck the game's opening goal in the 11th minute, breaking through the middle to finish with aplomb after Wexford's Adrian Morrissey set him up following a surging run that spilt the Corofin defence.

The lively Morrissey added a point in the 15th minute before two frees from Vaughan saw the Stillorgan side surge four points clear despite the strong wind in their face.

Corofin's Gary Sice struck in the 25th minute to reduce the deficit to one goal, while Vaughan and Shane Monaghan traded scores as the half drew to a close to leave the Connacht champions trailing by 1-05 to 0-05 after the opening 30 minutes.

Just like the first, Corofin started the second half well and were level by the 46th minute after points from O'Donovan and Monaghan saw the scores at 1-06 to 0-09, Vaughan registering the Kilmacud score in the 40th minute.

Davoren added a second point in the 49th minute with a superb left footed point to restore Crokes' lead.

Corofin drew level again when Joe Canney showed great strength to hold off his marker and level again at 1-07 to 0-10.

O'Donovan then missed the chance to put Corofin in front for the first time since early in the first half but he pulled a left sideline free wide on the near side in the 54th miunte.

Vaughan showed impeccable accuracy a minute later with a well executed point from play at the other end, before he sealed a deserved win with Kilmacud's second goal in the 58th minute, winning the chase to the ball down the right, cutting inside his marker by the endline and slotting home left-footed under the goalkeeper.

Brian Kavanagh and Burke added further points to put an extra gloss on the scoreline, although David Hanley did register a final consolation point from a free at the death.

They now meet Ulster kingpins Crossmaglen Rangers in the final on St Patrick's Day following their comprehensive win over Dromcollogher-Broadford this afternoon.