Tommy Murphy Cup Round-Up

Updated: Wednesday, 06 Aug 2008 02:43

Chris Donnellan's goal proved crucial for London at Ruislip
Chris Donnellan's goal proved crucial for London at Ruislip

LONDON 3-14 SLIGO 2-12, Ruislip

It took extra-time before London eventually shook off the challenge of last year's Connacht champions Sligo at Ruislip.

A David Kelly penalty goal for Sligo levelled matters at 1-03 to 0-06 early in the first half, with Kelly's goal the difference as the game entered its final quarter.

However, a 65th-minute Chris Donnellan goal turned the game in London's favour - the sides ended level (1-10 apiece) after 70 minutes.

But goals in extra-time from substitutes Paul Hehir and Ollie Coffey killed off Sligo's challenge as the Exiles finished strongly.

ANTRIM 1-10 CARLOW 0-11, Casement Park

Last year's beaten finalists Antrim withstood a Carlow comeback to advance to a Tommy Murphy Cup semi-final at Casement Park.

A fisted Kevin Brady goal set Antrim on their way in the 19th-minute and they claimed a 1-04 to 0-05 interval lead.

Carlow responded well and Paul Bealin's charges kicked four points without reply on the restart to cut the gap to the minimum margin.

However, a late Antrim point secured a two-point victory and a semi-final spot.

LEITRIM 1-12 CLARE 1-08, Cusack Park

Leitrim's long journey to Cusack Park in Ennis was certainly worthwhile as they claimed a four-point victory over Clare in the Tommy Murphy Cup.

Leitrim stormed into an early lead thanks to scores from Donal Brennan and Emilyn Mulligan, but a 25th-minute goal from full-forward Gary Brennan gave Clare a 1-05 to 0-05 interval lead.

The visitors bounced back in the second period with a Mulligan penalty goal edging them ahead.

Clare's woes were compounded late on following the dismissal of Gordon Kelly.

WICKLOW 0-18 WATERFORD 0-12, Aughrim

Reigning Tommy Murphy Cup champions Wicklow had a tough time in Aughrim against Waterford, before emerging with six points to spare.

Key-forward Shane Briggs was a major absence for Waterford due to a cruciate knee ligament injury.

Although Patrick Hurney carried the mantle well, top-scoring with 0-06 for the visitors, Wicklow spread their scoring among nine players with Tony Hannon and Sean Furlong landing four points each.

Despite a late Rory Nolan goal being disallowed, Wicklow had done enough to cement this first round win.