Wexford 2-07 Galway 1-08

Updated: Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 19:54

Ursula Jacob and Lenny Holohan lead the celebrations
Ursula Jacob and Lenny Holohan lead the celebrations

Wexford captain Ursula Jacob led from the front to help her side reel in Galway late on and retain the All-Ireland Senior Camogie Championship title.

Galway battled hard after trailing throughout and eventually held a deserved three-point lead after Orla Kilkenny’s 51st minute point.

Tara Rutledge had a shot for a point to give them a vital cushion almost immediately afterwards, but the sliotar rebounded off the upright and across the face of goal to safety.

Wexford rode their luck there but there was nothing lucky about their response.

The Model women worked the ball up the field and Jacob skilfully caught Josie Dwyer's high ball before turning and smashing a shot to the roof of the Galway net, levelling the scores with just over seven minutes remaining.

Kate Kelly then did brilliantly to gather possession for the Model women in front of the posts soon after and when she was fouled, Jacob made no mistake from the placed ball.

And it was the same combination that produced the last score in the second minute of extra time, Kelly carrying strongly before hand-passing inside to Jacob, who lofted over from under the Hogan Stand.

Galway tried hard to snatch a dramatic late goal but couldn’t and so were condemned to a fifth All-Ireland defeat since winning their only title back in 1996.

Wexford had the perfect start when Una Leacy goaled from a fourth minute penalty after Kate Kelly was unceremoniously dumped by Therese Manton, but with Ann-Marie Hayes, Maher and Heather Cooney dominant, Galway edged back into proceedings.

Aislinn Connolly, Veronica Curtin and Martina Conroy all had Galway points and Mags D’Arcy pulled off a smart save from Curtin. Jacob slotted two frees though and it was Wexford who led at half time by 1-2 to 0-3.

Galway exploded out of the traps after the resumption, points from Noreen Coen and Rutledge giving them parity before Rutledge pulled first time on a breaking ball from 18, after Maher’s free from distance, to billow the net.

They never managed to pull any further clear though, despite having more of the play and that ultimately was to prove their downfall as Jacob and Wexford showed their champion pedigree to secure a second successive O’Duffy Cup.

Wexford: M D’Arcy; C O’Connor, C O’Loughlin, K Atkinson; N Lambert, M Leacy, A O’Connor; D Codd, J Dwyer; K Kelly, U Leacy,m M O’Leary; L Holohan, U Jacob, K Parrock. Subs: F Kavanagh for Codd (54); E Quigley for Holohan (56); C Storey for Atkinson (60+3)

Scorers: U Jacob1-5(0-4fs); U Leacy 1-0(pen); J Dwyer, L Holohan 0-1 each.

Galway: S Earner; T Manton, S Cahalan, L Ryan; AM Hayes, T Maher, H Cooney; N Kilkenny, A< Starr; N Coen, M Conroy, A Connolly; T Rutledge, B Hanney, V Curtin. Sub: O Kilkenny for Curtin (39)

Scorers: T Rutledge 1-1; A Connolly 0-2(1f); V Curtin, M Conroy, N Coen, N Kilkenny (45), O Kilkenny 0-1 each.

Referee: M O’Kelly (Cork)