/ GAA

Ó Sé not planning Kerry comeback - though timing of Cooper injury could have changed decision

Updated: Monday, 10 Mar 2014 18:42 | Comments

Tomás Ó Sé confirms to RTÉ Sport that he is happy with the decision he made to retire
Tomás Ó Sé confirms to RTÉ Sport that he is happy with the decision he made to retire

Video

Tomás Ó Sé does not plan on reversing his decision to retire, but might have decided to play on had he not ended his Kerry career before star forward Colm Cooper was injured.

Cooper faces a lengthy period on the sidelines due to a ruptured cruciate ligament and knee fracture suffered while playing for Dr Crokes.

Paul Galvin, another winner of multiple All-Ireland titles, also decided to retire from Eamonn Fitzmaurice’s panel just before the start of this season’s Allianz League.

Asked about whether he would consider making a return, Kerry legend Ó Sé, 35, said: "I made my decision and I told Eamonn (Fitzmaurice) I wouldn’t be returning. I wish him the best."

"It was just unfortunate that Colm got injured as he is probably the main player for Kerry and I think it would have been way more difficult had Colm got injured before myself and Paul retired. We probably would have thought about it after that. But I was happy with decision and I will be staying retired."

Ó Sé added that he had take his decision to end his intercounty career even though he still felt physically capable of competing at the highest level.

He said: "I question myself as to whether I would be up for it or able for it physically and I think I actually would. After the All-Ireland last year and the defeat to Dublin, I sat down and took everything into consideration, including living and working in Cork for the past 16 or 17 years and decided that was my lot. 

"I was happy with the decision, and I’m still happy with the decision. I don’t think I’ll be returning."

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use