/ Equestrian

Kurtens for Jessica as CAS rejects appeal

Updated: Sunday, 14 Dec 2008 12:48

Jessica Kurten ineligible to compete as from 16 December 2008 until the entire two month ban is fully served
Jessica Kurten ineligible to compete as from 16 December 2008 until the entire two month ban is fully served

Irish showjumper Jessica Kurten on Friday lost her appeal against a two-month ban after failing a doping test, the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport said.

The court said in a statement: ‘Mrs. Kurten will be ineligible to compete as from 16 December 2008 until the entire two month ban is fully served.’

She was also ordered to pay 10,000 Swiss francs (8,500 dollars, 6,300 euros) towards the legal fees and expenses of the International Equestrian Federation (FEI).

Kurten failed a doping test at last year's Grand Prix event in La Baule, France, which she won.

Kurten's mount Castle Forbes Maike was found to have anti-flammatory drug etoricoxibe in his system but she refused to accept the disqualification.

The 2001 Europe team champion, who came fourth last month in the final of the indoor World Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden, contested the decision to the FEI.

It ruled against her, a decision upheld by the CAS.

Powered by NewsWhip