/ Boxing

Tyson Fury faces sanctions after Twitter outburst

Updated: Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 15:54 | Comments

Tyson Fury's trash-talking is expected to cost the Manchester-born heavyweight yet again
Tyson Fury's trash-talking is expected to cost the Manchester-born heavyweight yet again

The British Boxing Board of Control is likely to take disciplinary action against Tyson Fury after he launched another social media tirade against fellow heavyweights.

Fury directed a series of expletive-ridden tweets at both the retired Lennox Lewis and future opponent David Haye - some of which were later removed - after Lewis had told reporters he would "probably knock him (Fury) out - inside a round".

Fury was fined £3,000 in March for making homophobic tweets and the BBBC will take a dim view of Wednesday night's messages, some which appeared to follow a similar vein, with others making numerous violent suggestions.

The Board's general secretary Robert Smith has been sent a transcript of the offensive tweets and will discuss the matter with the organisation's stewards before deciding on a course of action.

It is likely Fury will be called before the Board to explain his comments and he is set to receive a stiffer fine and a warning as to his future conduct - but a decision to strip his licence is unlikely.

Smith told the BBC: "Tyson has been called before the Board before for making inappropriate comments and fined.

"I just can't understand how anyone would want to say anything like that at all - it's very disappointing."

Fury's scheduled showdown with Haye was postponed last month when Haye sustained a cut in training just a week before the fight. The bout has since been rearranged for February.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Live!
Powered by NewsWhip