/ Boxing

Manny Pacquiao checks out of hospital

Updated: Thursday, 27 May 2010 11:53

Manny Pacquiao
Manny Pacquiao

Seven-time world boxing champion Manny Pacquiao checked out from a private hospital in the Philippine capital on Tuesday, two days after he was admitted due to stomach pains and fatigue.

‘I'm OK now,’ Pacquiao, known as the ‘Pacman’, told ABS-CBN television as he walked out of Manila's Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital with his family.

‘I was advised to take my medication and not to skip any meal. Nothing to worry about. I also want to thank all those who have prayed for my recovery,’ said Pacquiao, who won a seat in the national Congress in the 10 May elections.

On Saturday night, Pacquiao complained of severe stomach pain and was taken to the hospital the next day, where doctors said he could be suffering from ulcers and advised to rest for two days.

Pacquiao underwent an endoscopy and other routine tests and was given clean bill of health, his chief of staff Jake Joson told reporters.

‘The tests revealed nothing,’ he said.

Pacquiao taped his television weekly show on Tuesday afternoon. He is due to leave for New York on 1 June to accept the ‘Fighter of the Year’ award from the Boxing Writers' Association of America.

It is not the first time the 31-year-old has suffered stomach ailments, having undergone similar problems in 2006 and 2007.

Pacquiao last week agreed to undergo random drug testing in order to help negotiations to fix a fight with undefeated American welterweight Floyd Mayweather, possibly in November.

Live!
Powered by NewsWhip