/ Boxing

Murray to miss fight with broken collarbone

Updated: Wednesday, 23 Sep 2009 14:55

Andy Murray's fight against Pasquale Di Silvio is off
Andy Murray's fight against Pasquale Di Silvio is off

A broken collarbone has cruelly denied unbeaten Cavan star Andy Murray a chance to shine on the undercard of Bernard Dunne's world title fight at The O2 on Saturday.

The reigning European Union Lightweight champ had been set to defend his title in the chief supporting bout to Dunne's first defence of his WBA World Super Bantamweight title.

Dunne will look to see off the challenge of number one contender Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym from Thailand while Murray had been all set to defend his title against Italian Pasquale Di Silvio.

However a broken collarbone has consigned a frustrated Murray to the sidelines for the next six weeks as he waits for the bone to heal.

'I'm gutted as it would have been a huge opportunity for me,' said the 27-year-old who has won all 16 of his pro fights to date.

'Training had been going really well and as luck would have it the break happened in my last sparring session for the fight. I had hurt it a few days earlier but you always have aches and pains in training and you shrug them off.

'In the back of my mind I was a little bit worried about it but then during my last sparring session I actually heard the snap and I knew straight away it was broken.

'It's quite painful at the moment but the doctors said that if it heals right I should be ready to start training again in six weeks so hopefully I won’t be out too long.'

Powered by NewsWhip