/ Athletics

Yohan Blake ruled out for 2014 season after surgery

Updated: Wednesday, 23 Jul 2014 10:56 | Comments

Yohan Blake won't run again in the 2014 season
Yohan Blake won't run again in the 2014 season

Jamaica's double Olympic sprint silver medallist Yohan Blake has been ruled out for the rest of the 2014 season after undergoing a surgery on an injured hamstring.

The 24-year-old sustained the injury in the 100 metres at the Glasgow Grand Prix on 11 July.

"Right now he's on crutches, he had to have an operation a couple of days ago," his coach, Glen Mills told Reuters.

"The injury was quite severe and the original prognosis was misdiagnosed and he went Germany and when they had a good look, they realised that it was more serious and required surgery, so he'll be out for quite a long time."

Blake, who could not defend his 100m world title in Moscow last year because of a hamstring injury, had opted against racing at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow starting on Wednesday to concentrate on his build-up to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"I am down but just a little. I'm still going to fight even harder for everyone who continues to support me," Blake said in his Facebook message to his fans.

"I feel I owe it to the sport and the fans. Thanks for all the good wishes. It really means a lot," added the 2011 world 100m champion.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use
Powered by NewsWhip