Our next has travelled the world, experiencing earthquakes in Bogota and experimenting with psychedelic shamanism, but it took a trip to London before he realised what he really wanted to write about was his home town of Dublin.
Rob Doyle (pictured above), spoke to John Murray this morning.
His debut novel, Here Are the Young Men, has been compared to modern classics such as Less than Zero and Trainspotting. It’s now been acquired by publishing giants, Bloomsbury and film rights are in the offing and Rob spoke to John this morning.
Here Are The Young Men by Rob Doyle is published by Lilliputpress.
John was joined by the master fiddle and guitar duo Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill.
Fri 1st Aug - NCH, Dublin with the RTE Concert Orchestra
Fri 8th Aug - Feakle, Co. Clare, plus the Irish Concertina Orchestra
10 - 17th - The Marble Session Kilkenny Arts Festival
20 - 24th - Masters of Tradition - Bantry Co. Cork
For more information about or to book for Masters of Tradition 2014 visit the website www.westcorkmusic.ie or phone Lo call: 1850 788 789.
Last week we got a great response from around the country to our item on postcards. One of our listeners who got in touch was Aidan Mannion from Sligo who joined John on the phone from Sligo.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Talent must be emerging rather than established. Open to those who have not received considerable air-play and/or exposure. Entrants must also normally be resident in the 32 counties.
2. It is open to all musical genres like punk, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, folk, country, electronic, compositional etc.
3. A backline and sound engineer will be provided by the Saturday Night Show on the night of the winning performance, May 30, but the winning act will provide their own instruments and drum kit. The winning act will look after their own expenses on the night of the Saturday Night Show performance.
4. The act must be available to perform on the John Murray Show on Friday, May 29th and on the Saturday Night Show on Saturday, May 30th.
5. How do I enter?
All entries are by email only and should be sent to email@example.com
6. What should my entry include?
Your email should include a short description (maximum 100 words) of the musician or band, a contact mobile phone number and ONE audio file attachment. The audio filename should contain the band/musician name and composition title. The entry should also include a photo of act of approximately 1Mb.
Only original work will be considered – no covers or samples. Due to a high volume of entries we cannot give individual feedback on music received.
7. Which type audio files should I send?
Audio files must be sent in high-quality audio, preferably stereo and of as high a production standard as possible as this track is what will be played on the John Murray Show on RTE Radio One. MP3 (192kbps or higher) files only will be accepted. No other file types should be entered as they will not be accepted. Tracks should be no longer than 3’30” in duration.
8. Can I enter more than once?
No. One entry is sufficient.
9. Deadline for submission?
Get your music in ASAP. Deadline for submissions is 12 noon, Friday, May 8th.
Presenter: John Murray