Calling all Irish gospel choirs/groups!
Would you like to perform in the National Concert Hall as support act for gospel legends The Blind Boys of Alabama as well as on RTÉ Radio 1’s Mooney?
Mooney and Waltons World Masters Series are offering one lucky group the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do just that!
The Waltons World Masters Series welcomes The Blind Boys of Alabama back to Dublin and the National Concert Hall on Wednesday, May 21st 2014. Ireland has its own great tradition of gospel music, and one very special aspect of this concert is that the support act will be an Irish gospel choir/group selected by the third nationwide Waltons World Masters Gospel Competition, in association with the Mooney and RTÉ Radio 1! The winning choir/group will perform a 40-minute set before The Blind Boys take to the stage.
All Irish gospel choirs/groups are welcome to enter.
After all entries are received, a shortlist of three finalists will be chosen by a jury made up of representatives from Waltons New School of Music and RTÉ Radio 1. The finalists will be announced and their recordings broadcast on the Mooney on Thursday, April 10th. Their entries will then be sent to The Blind Boys of Alabama, who will select the overall winner.
The winning choir/group will be announced on the Mooney on Thursday, May 1st, perform on Mooney on a date to be announced, and perform in the National Concert Hall as support act for the Blind Boys of Alabama on Wednesday, May 21st.
The winning choir/group will be responsible for their own transport to/from the venue, as well as accommodation (if required). The group will receive five pairs of tickets to the concert for guests, but there will be no monetary remuneration.
Entry forms are available at www.newschool.ie/worldmasters or by clicking here. E-mail or post forms with the required information and materials (e-mail preferred!) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (with ‘Waltons World Masters Gospel Competition’ in the subject line)
Waltons World Masters Gospel Competition
Waltons New School of Music
69 South Great George’s Street, Dublin 2
Entries must arrive by 5pm on Friday, March. Late entries will not be accepted.
Please include the following materials and information:
- Good quality audio recording(s) and MPG4, MOV, AVI or WMV video files or CD and DVD of one or two pieces that best display the range and skills of your choir/group.
- A list of proposed repertoire to be performed at the NCH if your choir/group is chosen to perform.
- A brief description your choir/group, including history, number of members and names, musical background of members and instrumentation (if any).
- A JPG photograph of the choir for the Mooney Show and Competition web pages. If possible, please include a live performance photograph as well.
- Website, Facebook or other URL(s), if any.
- Email and contact details of the choir/group director.
- Confirmation that all performers who feature on the audio and video files are available and will be able to perform on Wednesday, 21 May in the National Concert Hall, if your choir/group is selected.
Entry deadline: Friday, March 21st, 5pm
Finalists announced: Thursday, April 10th
Winner announced: Thursday, 1 May
Concert: Wednesday, 21 May