We broadcast every Saturday @2pm on RTÉ Radio 1, 88-90FM, Repeated Sunday evenings @7pm
The Documentary on One team are always looking for ideas for future radio documentaries.
We consider absolutely everything.
In fact, what you might think is a trivial enough story or idea, we might think a gem - so don't be afraid to contact us.
As many of you will know, we touch on a huge variety of topics, stories and people in our documentaries. However, we do have general criteria of how we assess ideas.
Here are some tips on what we feel makes a good radio documentary.
1: A Story
2. An Event
3. Intimacy i.e. direct access to the people/events/storytellers. Second hand information can dilute the subject matter, person or event.
4. Something you care about - If you don't care, why should anyone else?
5. Characters - Real people, real accents, young and old, male and female
6. Scenes / Audio pictures - Places, scenes and imagery bring stories to life - A scene can as simple as a kitchen, a field or a car.
7. Sound - One of the greatest gifts of radio is its ability to provide scenes/Audio pictures, thus allowing the listener into that space. We always record out and about. What's happening in the background can sometimes be as important as what's being said - i.e. seagulls, laughter in a pub, a tractor/machine, water/wind/fire etc
8. Imagination - Is there a new way to approach an 'old' idea? We always try to capture peoples imaginations.
By Post: Documentary on One, RTÉ Radio 1, RTE, Donnybrook, Dublin 4.
By Phone: 01-2083111 (main switchboard). Ask for the 'Documentary on One' team in RTÉ Radio 1.