Spiced Pumpkin Soup - Eamon Mullins
- 900g pumpkin, peeled de-seeded and cut into ˝ inch cubes.
- 150g carrot diced
- 175g onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 25g butter
- 1 spring thyme
- 1x 400g tin of tomatoes de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1.2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- ˝ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ˝ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ˝ teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon white mustard seeds.
Back to Recipes
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onion, garlic, carrot & thyme for 10 minutes.
- Lightly toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and mustard seeds in a dry non stick saucepan.
- Grind the seeds and black peppercorns in a mortar & pestle.
- Add the cubed pumpkin and ground spices to the saucepan and sweat for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and sugar to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, salt and pepper and cook until the pumpkin is very tender.
- Discard the thyme and liquidise the soup in small batches and return to the pan.
- Add additional stock to achieve the desired consistency and adjust the seasoning to taste.