Food & Recipes
Day 39: Irish Sunday Roast
- 1tbs plain flour
- 1tbs butter
- 900g Irish round steak roasting joint
- 300g shallots, peeled
- 600g potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 400g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- Fresh thyme or rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml beef stock
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Spray some oil into a heavy casserole dish over a high heat on your stove top.
- In the casserole dish brown the beef joint on all sides.
- Add half the beef stock along with the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cover and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove from the oven and add the onions, potatoes and carrots to the dish.
- Replace in the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- While the beef cooks, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook gently for one minute allowing the flour to absorb the butter.
- Gradually add the remaining beef stock, whisking all the time to create a smooth creamy sauce.
- Serve with the vegetables and your sliced roast beef.