Gardaí conclude McGeever abduction inquiry
Updated: Saturday, 16 Mar 2013 00:12
Businessman Kevin McGeever has been released without charge after being questioned by gardaí in relation to his alleged abduction.
Gardaí have said they have concluded their investigation and a file will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
They said they were happy with the progress they made during interviews with Mr McGeever.
There are no plans to talk to anyone else in connection with the matter.
The 68-year-old was arrested yesterday afternoon.
He was held at Gort Garda Station until his period of detention ended shortly after 8.30pm this evening.
Mr McGeever made no comment to reporters outside the garda station before he was driven away.
It is understood he was questioned on suspicion of wasting garda time.
Mr McGeever was reported missing by his partner last May.
He was discovered on a roadside in the Ballinamore area of Co Leitrim in January.
The couple who found him said Mr McGeever told them he had been dumped out of a van by three men, that he did not know where he was or what day of the week it was.
He was treated at the Midland Regional Hospital and subsequently discharged.