Howlin: Govt will not seek further concessions

Updated: Sunday, 10 Feb 2013 22:10

The Government will not ask for any further concessions from public sector workers if agreement is reached in the latest round of Croke Park talks.

Public sector unions are being asked to agree savings of €1 billion in the talks.

The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin was asked on RTÉ’s The Week in Politics if public sector unions could be assured that if agreement is reached this would be the last round concessions being sought during the remaining term of this Government.

Mr Howlin said: "Yes. What we are trying to negotiate with the public sector unions, and the deal we have, is that we will have a public sector agreement that brings us to the end of 2016.

“There will be no further asks of public sector servants, unless some calamity happens outside our control,” he added. “But this is the framework with which people can plan."

RTE API An error occurred

TC:404 The content you are looking for could not be found.

IMPACT's Bernard Harbour said that it is important Mr Howlin stresses that the Government will stick to any agreement if they get one.

My Harbour said talks have been difficult so far and there will be more twists and turns as the negotiations unfold.

IMPACT is the largest public service union.

John Redmond of the General Secretary of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors, which had pulled out of Croke Park talks, said they will not be changing their position.

RTE API

TC:404 The content you are looking for could not be found.