Iarnród Éireann talks adjourn for the night

Monday 01 September 2014 23.09
1 of 2
Talks to end a pay dispute at Iarnród Éireann have adjourned for the night
Talks to end a pay dispute at Iarnród Éireann have adjourned for the night
Paschal Donohoe said he said he would be proposing to the Cabinet  that there would be no further cuts
Paschal Donohoe said he said he would be proposing to the Cabinet that there would be no further cuts

Talks aimed at resolving the dispute at Iarnród Éireann have adjourned for the night after both sides met for over ten hours at the Labour Relations Commission today.  

SIPTU and the National Bus and Railworkers Union - the two unions involved in the dispute - are seeking assurances on temporary pay cuts before they will call off strike action planned for the 7, 8 and 21 September.

The company said some progress had been made today and there was a basis for reconvening the talks in the morning.

The talks are due to get underway again at 10.30am tomorrow.   

Meanwhile, the Minister for Transport Paschal Donohoe has said he will be proposing no further cuts to the Government's subvention to Iarnród Éireann next year.

Both unions had criticised the Government for cutting its subvention.

Speaking at the official signing of contracts at the Luas Cross City office in Dublin today, Mr Donohoe said he said he would be proposing to the Cabinet next week that there would be no further cuts.

Owen Reidy, who is representing SIPTU at the LRC talks, said earlier that the Government had stripped over €70m from its subvention in the past five years, placing the burden on workers to accept pay cuts.

Speaking ahead of the talks, NBRU General Secretary Dermot O'Leary said there were still issues of trust to be resolved.

He said the union’s position was unchanged and that plans for strike action would still go ahead while the pay cuts were in place.

Keywords: iarnród éireann