Superquinn not up for sale, says chief

Wednesday 03 September 2008 14.59
Superquinn report - 'Several approaches'
Superquinn report - 'Several approaches'

The chief executive of supermarket chain Superquinn has insisted that its owners have not put the business up for sale.

Simon Burke was speaking to RTÉ radio after a report in the Irish Times said six potential bidders had expressed interest in Superquinn, which is owned by the Select Retail Holdings consortium.

The paper said all of the potential offers had come from retailers, including Irish wholesale groups Musgrave, BWG, and UK supermarket chains Asda and J Sainsbury.

Mr Burke said there had been several approaches to the company, but that at the moment it was doing no more than 'continue the conversation' with the parties involved.

Mr Burke said the management team was confident and excited about Superquinn's prospects, as it had been trading very well and its performance had recovered dramatically in the last couple of years. He would not comment on the Irish Times report that a value of €250m to €300m was being put on the company.