Talks between Apollo House campaigners and the Minister for Housing ended last night without agreement.

The Home Sweet Home group was in discussion with Minister Simon Coveney and officials for seven hours.

Speaking afterwards Mr Coveney said that contacts would continue over the next few days

He said he is hopeful that agreement could be reached before the deadline to end the occupation next Wednesday.

The minister said the two sides failed to agree on policy statements to be issued.

But he said there will be sufficient accommodation for the people in Apollo House.

And he revealed that two new homeless hostels will be opened in Dublin over the next two months.

Home Sweet Home spokesman Brendan Ogle said he remains hopeful that agreement can be reached.

The activists took over the building on 15 December and have been ordered to vacate it by noon on 11 January.

The ten-storey office building on Tara Street has been empty since the middle of last year.

The group has been providing accommodation to those who need shelter.