Evicted Travellers to meet legal representative

Monday 25 January 2016 23.25
Five of the 23 evicted families have children under six months of age
Five of the 23 evicted families have children under six months of age

Representatives for 23 Traveller families evicted from a closed halting site in Dundalk more than a week ago are to meet with their solicitor Eleanor Kelly and a barrister.

A spokesperson for the families, Rebecca Quinn, is also meeting members of the Oireachtas in Leinster House on Wednesday.

Six of the 23 families evicted from Woodland Park have been put up in B&B accommodation at Louth County Council's expense until next Friday.

Five of the families have children under six months of age, including a week-old baby, while one couple were sleeping in their car until they were offered B&B accommodation last Friday.

All six families had their caravans seized and impounded during the eviction.

They said they would move into private rented accommodation as was suggested by Louth County Council, however last week local estate agents told the families that there was currently no such accommodation available in Dundalk.

The rest of the families say they want to live in Traveller-specific accommodation such as a halting site.

Louth County Council has suggested that some of the families could move to one of two halting sites outside of Dundalk.

One of the suggested sites will not able to accommodate them for a number of weeks. The families maintain that they want to stay in Dundalk, which they say is their home and where their children go to school.

Many of the remaining families are currently living on a boarded-up site off the N52 Inner Relief Road.

Last week, they were instructed to leave the site which is believed to be private property.

Meanwhile, Sinn Féin's Gerry Adams has called on Louth County Council to designate Woodlawn Park as an emergency halting site.

Mr Adams met with the council's chief executive this evening.