Family concerned for Irishman missing on Camino de Santiago

Wednesday 30 July 2014 10.27
Walkers on the pilgrimage route have been asked to look out for Vincent Walsh
Walkers on the pilgrimage route have been asked to look out for Vincent Walsh

A search is under way for a 28-year-old Cork man reported missing on the Camino de Santiago.

Vincent Walsh had flown from Shannon to Paris on 17 July to walk the famous Camino de Santiago de Compostela (The Way of St James) pilgrimage route.

Mr Walsh took the train from Paris to Le Puis in southern France and began the walk the following day.

However, his family have not heard from him since 19 July.

His brother Frank said: "Vincent is usually always on Facebook, but his last post was after he had completed the first day of the walk.

"He was complaining of some blisters, but said they were offset by the magnificent scenery. We haven't heard from him since then.

"We are very concerned for Vincent, although he is an experienced hiker and very into outdoor pursuits.

He added that the family hopes "Vincent may have lost his phone and we also know from other people on the Camino that internet coverage can be very intermittent".

Gardaí, Interpol and the Irish Embassy in Paris were alerted by the family and an appeal was issued to other walkers along the route to look out for Mr Walsh.