Independent agrees to take down Anglo material

Monday 21 July 2014 18.45
Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns adjourned the matter until Friday
Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns adjourned the matter until Friday

Independent Newspapers Ireland has agreed to remove certain portions from some of the Anglo tapes from its independent.ie website after the DPP sought a High Court injunction yesterday in relation to the publication of the tapes.

The DPP claims the publishing of further material is calculated to interfere with the criminal trial process in relation to events at the former Anglo Irish Bank.

The extracts have been removed without prejudice to the Independent's position in relation to the case being taken by the DPP.

The DPP is also seeking an order directing the attachment and committal to prison of the Independent editor Claire Grady and of editor-in-chief Stephen Rae, and/or the sequestration of the company's assets, as the case may be, for contempt of court in relation to material published last Thursday under theheadline "Anglo: the new tapes revealed". 

It is claimed the material contained in the article is tended to prejudice the proper administration of justice in relation to the criminal trials currently pending against former Anglo officials.

It is also claimed the article amounts to a breach of the sub judice principle and to contempt of court.

When the matter came before the president of the High Court Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns yesterday, it was adjourned briefly to allow discussions between the parties.

When the case came back before Mr Justice Kearns, Paul O'Higgins SC, for the DPP, said it had been agreed the respondents would take steps in relation to the material online and the injunction application could be adjourned until Friday.

Shane English BL, for the Independent said it had been agreed to remove significant portions of the tapes identified in an affidavit in the injunction application from the DPP.

Mr Justice Kearns adjourned the matter to Friday.