Garda harassment case adjourned until October

Wednesday 16 July 2014 20.48
Garda Donal Maguire appeared at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court
Garda Donal Maguire appeared at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court

A Dublin-based garda, who is charged with harassing two women over an 18-month period, has had his case adjourned until October.

It comes after the court heard Garda Donal Maguire was accessing mental health services in hospital.

The 38-year-old, with an address at Millbrook Avenue, in Kilbarrack, Dublin, appeared at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, where his lawyers said he had been discharged from hospital in Sligo this morning.

Mr Maguire is currently suspended from duty.

He faces three charges for harassing one woman at the Jervis Shopping Centre, in Dublin city centre on 7 February and 18 March and at Tesco in Clarehall Shopping Centre, over a 12-month period, from 23 September, 2012.

He is also accused of harassing another woman at North Great Clarence Street, in central Dublin, between 1 February 2014 and 19 March.

The garda was granted legal aid at a previous court sitting after the judge was told he could barely afford to travel back to Donegal where he was living at the time.

The District Court was told that Mr Maguire said "nothing to say" after he was charged with the first three offences.

He had "no reply" when the fourth charge was put to him.

That court heard that Mr Maguire is estranged from his wife but she is not one of the injured parties.

The accused is now living with his mother in Donegal.

He was remanded on bail on condition that he must not have any contact with the complainants; he has to sign-on three times a week at his local garda station, and stay out of Dublin city and county except for court appearances and pre-arranged consultations with his solicitor or for medical appointments.