Suicide bomb in Afghanistan leaves at least 16 dead

Tuesday 08 July 2014 23.47
NATO soldiers on patrol in Parwan earlier this year
NATO soldiers on patrol in Parwan earlier this year

At least four NATO servicemen were killed in an attack in eastern Afghanistan this morning, the International Security Assistance Force said.

Earlier, Ziaul Rahman Sayedkhili, a senior police officer in the eastern province of Parwan, said the death toll included six NATO soldiers, ten Afghan civilians and two Afghan policemen.

"Two days ago a rocket was fired from the village of Qalandar Khil which hit the Bagram (military) base and this morning a joint Afghan-ISAF operation went there to investigate the case," he said.

"There was a suicide bomber on a bicycle who detonated his explosives which killed ten local civilians, two policemen and six ISAF soldiers."

ISAF said in a separate statement four of its servicemen were killed.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message to Reuters.             

The attack took place amid deteriorating security in Afghanistan as most ISAF forces prepare to leave the country after 12 years of war against Taliban insurgents.

Keywords: afghanistan, nato