National Ambulance service strike averted after agreement reached

Friday 04 July 2014 22.33
Union was satisfied with the outcome and the ballot for strike action had been called off
Union was satisfied with the outcome and the ballot for strike action had been called off

The threat of strike action in the National Ambulance Service has receded after agreement was reached with the Health Service Executive on arrangements for redeployment of surplus staff.

SIPTU Health Division Organiser Paul Bell said the HSE had agreed that arrangements to implement two binding Labour Court recommendations will be in place by 25 July.

Ambulance staff for whom no appropriate redeployment can be found may be permitted to exit under voluntary severance.

Special arrangements will also be made for older surplus staff nearing retirement. 

Mr Bell said the union was very satisfied with the outcome
and that the ballot for strike action had been called off.

Both sides had appeared today before the Haddington Road Agreement Health Service Oversight Body.