Brooks says she feels vindicated by not guilty verdicts

Thursday 26 June 2014 23.53
Rebekah Brooks was speaking 
for the first time since been cleared of phone hacking charges
Rebekah Brooks was speaking for the first time since been cleared of phone hacking charges

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, who was found not guilty of phone hacking charges this week, has said she feels vindicated by the unanimous not guilty verdicts. 

Speaking outside her London home for the first time since been cleared of phone hacking charges, she said: "I am innocent of the crimes that I was charged with and I feel vindicated by the unanimous verdicts."

She said the last three years had been "tough" for her and her husband and those close to them.

She added: "But more importantly they've been tough for everybody on all sides that have been affected by the issues highlighted by this case.

"Therefore throughout the three year police investigation and through our eight month trial at the Old Bailey we've always tried to keep our troubles in perspective," she added. 

Ms Brooks was accused of being complicit in journalists' hacking phones to find exclusive stories for Rupert Murdoch's now defunct News of the World, a paper she edited from 2000 to 2003.

Yesterday, the hacking trial jury was discharged after failing to reach verdicts on two charges against Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and ex NotW royal editor Clive Goodman.

A decision on whether there will be a re-trial will be made on Monday.

Coulson, who had edited Rupert Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid, was yesterday found guilty of conspiring to hack into phones.