No oral submissions over objections to Garth Brooks concerts

Friday 20 June 2014 15.57
Many residents around Croke Park have objected to the number of concerts scheduled for this year
Many residents around Croke Park have objected to the number of concerts scheduled for this year

Residents around Croke Park have been told there will not be an oral hearing into their objections to the planned Garth Brooks concerts next month.

Dublin city councillors passed a motion calling for a public hearing before the council planners made a decision on the licence application.

However, residents in the area received letters from council management saying that they had enough information from more than 370 submissions received and they will not be taking oral submissions.

The council said it is assessing the submissions and meeting with State agencies, as well as the Aiken promotions and the Croke Park authorities.

A decision on the licence application is expected within two weeks.

Meanwhile, local residents representatives say no progress has been made in a mediation process chaired by Kieran Mulvey.

They say they are hoping to get a response from Croke Park through the mediator before a public meeting planned for 1 July.

Residents had previously received written assurances from the GAA that concerts would be limited to three a year unless there was prior consultation.

But tickets were sold for five Garth Brooks concerts in July, on top of three concerts by One Direction last month.